Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing hood springs...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Munky Haus, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Munky Haus

Munky Haus

I just bought a pair of hood springs for my "51 Chevy for $50 but baulked at the $55 installing "tool". I'm all for using the right tool for the job but $55 for a one time use tool seems a bit much. It's just a retainer to hold the spring partially stretched to hook it up. Does anyone have a safe and effective way t0 accomplish this with a more multi-use tool or clamp?

I'd rather lose $55 than a finger but there's got to be a better way...

2. rexrogers

rexrogers

The best way is to go get a box of thick fender washers and bend the spring back and forth inserting a washer as you go. That will expand the spring enough to safely put it on the hooks then just open the hood a bit more and remove the washers. just some regular washer or even shim stock would work just need something to spread the spring out.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

CAREFULLY wrap the spring in baling wire, and tie it off to the hinge. Insert pennies or fender washers, as needed until you've stretched the spring enough to clear the hinge ears and are in alignment. Slowly remove the pennies with pliers. Now remove the wire, and check hood operation.

4. Munky Haus

Munky Haus

The washers sounds like a good idea. The directions for the "tool" suggested stretching out the spring by hooking it to the underside of a floor jack and the base of the jack which looked pretty effective.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I've done this successfully using paint sticks as the shims, they're easy to pull out and they don't mark up paint on fresh springs. You just have to make sure they're "clocked" in a direction that doesn't hit anything when you're installing them.

6. Half of a piece of tubing washers welded in either end. Stretch on the jack install new home made tool done. Lots of info on here already.

7. Great information Thanks Guys

8. Munky Haus

Munky Haus

Lot's of great suggestions, thanks. Everyone of them better than spending $55 on something to use once and then add to the clutter.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Pennies will work same as washers.

10. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Cheaper too.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, how do you do trunk lid springs? They have to be compressed some how?

12. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Here is an example of how to stretch before inserting the angle iron with washers welded to the end.

Attached Files:

13. usmile4

usmile4

Here is the best tool for removing and installing hood springs. I've used these for many a hood spring.

Hood Spring Removal Tool.

This site also includes some videos on using the tool.

14. morac41

morac41

Hi ... Check in my albums..(morac41)..spring removal tool... be carefull......

15. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Watched my old man flip them on like installing a brake spring with a long screwdriver. These were just customer daily drivers. He would have never took the time to do the washer/penny thing or spend 55 dollars for the tool. Great ideas though.

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've done that, as well as the old vice grips pull. It's amazing how many ways you can find to hit yourself in the face. :) I do the washer/penny trick now, mostly.

17. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

that works ok; but you can use a small chain...hook the rear of the spring
    on the hinge and a small chain on the front of the spirng
    , pull the chain and hook the spring end over the notch on the hinge...It`s quick and easy.

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Probably not the safest way to do it, but I hooked one end onto the bracket, then used a ratchet strap to pull the spring into position onto the hood bracket. Cheap, quick, easy, and probably risked lives doing it.

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

I used a ratchet strap... worked great!

Attached Files:

20. 68vette

68vette

I, too, used paint sticks and cut them about 2 inchs long, put the spring on the jack and streched it fonger than the mounting points....one stick per coil seemed to work fine.

Attached Files: