Register now to get rid of these ads!

installing camero rearend in my 52 Chebby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Howdy fellas,I'm in the process of installing a 73 camero rearend in my 52 chevy styleline deluxe and I need.some advice. I listned to a buddy of mine who sounded like he knew what he was talking about that told me to cut off the existing camero perches and saddles and weld on new ones that would fit the original springs. Upon doing so I leared that I could have used the camero ones and added some shims and it would have been a hell of a lot easier. I can't put all the blame on my buddy because after all I should have researched it more myself. If any of you guys have some helpful advice on installing new perches,saddles, and the pinion angle PLEASE share. I have 71 days until my wedding amd my old lady has demanded only one thing..... "She wants to cruise into and out of the wedding and reception in our car." Any help as always is greatly appreciated! Sam

2. tcnotch

tcnotch
    from Toxic City

It's Camaro, call me if you need help

3. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

That's how its spelled in spanish! Haha sorry

4. Wow, that's.... well, I won't beat you up on it, but a Camaro is a drop in on these cars so long as you drill the hole for the offset pin on the stock springs.

Summit or Speedway sells a Mopar spring perch you can weld back on for about $12, I'd pull the axles out of the housing so you don't accidentally hurt anything when welding it up, going to have to keep your clamp close to the work. Just put them on the same as the stock ones and shim as needed. If I remember right the stock ones leave a gap on the inside because the springs are narrower, if you have to you could offset them to the outside to get a virgin spot to weld to and should not make any difference.

5. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Thanks for the info RNY'er

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Bolt the axle in with out welding the perches on. Put jack stands under the axle so when the jack is let down the rear will be at ride height, then measure the tranny angle and pinion angle with an angle finder. Adjust the pinion angle by rotating the rear housing then tack the saddles in place. Remove the rear, pull off the inspection cover to prevent an explosion then weld the saddles on good.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

It is spelled Camaro, because it is a french word. And you should drill new holes to move it back 3/4" which centers the wheel in the wheel well.

8. When I relocated the rear in mine it was actually not 3/4" if I remember. I mocked it up and ended up drilling 3 sets of holes and just put the rear where it looked the best! It might be an 1/8th more or less than 2/4

9. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Thanks fellas, any help is better than what I started with.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I ended up with Posies springs, so now I don't need to relocate. I now have an s10 4x4 rear and the afore mentioned mopar perches.

11. gsport

gsport

when i put my S-10 rear in my 50', i had the springs in, layed the perches on the springs, layed the rear on the perches, measured, adjusted, and welded...

12. Area51

Area51
    from tx

Geat advive guys. I'm doin the same with a 67 camaro under my 51. Let us know how it works out sam. by the way, i'm about 2 hour north of texas city, around buffalo area.

13. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Area51,it sucked! Go with chassis engineering springs or posie. Its well worth the $. Holler at me and I'll send you pics.

14. A great tip from choprods here on the HAMB is to use the front springs from a Dodge Ramcharger in the rear. The are very flat, the standard 2 1/2" wide unlike the oddball narrow springs on your Chevy.I believe they come in 3 and 5 leaf varieties (a search will get you the specifics). They lower the car a TON without blocks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  15. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Not sure if 73 is considered 2nd gen, I used a rear out of a 81 TransAm...which is most def 2nd gen, and I relocated the holes 1.75" to get it centered. I've always heard the range from 1.5" to 1.75".

16. MOCKUP is the best way to tell. Every car/stance will differ slightly. We moved mine around after we lowered it and had the actual rear wheels and tires. My wheelwells look full with the Cheaters on and off visually a RCH with the narrow whites.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and it Chevy not Chebby... it's all downhill from here. :eek: