Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a T5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crusty a, Sep 29, 2013.

1. crusty a

crusty a

If anyone knows what I'll need any help to make this go as smooth as possible would be appreciated.
    I've just picked up a T5 trans from an 89 s-10 in good shape will freshen up a few parts before it goes in but need to know what else I may need. It will be going behind a 65 283 what bell housing ,clutch ,slave ,mc etc. will help me achieve success. Thanks for ANY input.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will either need to put in a spacer, between the transmission and bell, or shorten the input shaft. The spacer is easier.

Any passenger car bellhousing will do. Size is dependent on which flywheel you choose.

The clutch will have to match the flywheel size, as will the starter. The spline count and diameter will need to match the input shaft.

As for the clutch slave, I like this setup: http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/clutch/kit_hcrc.htm

3. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

Look at your input shaft. You probably need a 14 spline 1" clutch plate. The ones made for an S-10 are 9.125" and may work with flywheels and pressure plates made for the 10.4" discs, I am no expert.
    10.4" clutches for this shaft are said to be hard to find. Speedway sells one for their T5-flathead kits that I have heard works with the sbc flywheels and pressure plates.
    I got a spacer from an online co. called Vintage Metalworks.
    The kit Gimpy recommended looks great. I had already obtained a cable operated bellhousing made for a late 70's V8 Monza. I had to check everywhere constantly for weeks before I lucked into a nice one complete with arm at a reasonable price.

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Try doing a search ... t-5 tech.....the search function is your friend

5. Paul Y

Paul Y

I used this set up, works well. Only comment I would make is ensure you have your pedal ratio correct, learnt that one from bitter experience...

P.:D