Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical installing a speedway T spring in my A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroux, Jul 24, 2014.

1. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

just getting ready to install a new T spring with reverse eye in my A. since i cant use a spring spreader because of the reverse eye and the axle...whats the trick? or am i over thinking it...and just being a dumb ass

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Loosen the center bolt and put C clamps on either side of the bolt. Slowly keep loosening the bolt and the C clamps until the leaves come apart. Then spread out the main leaf only until it fits on the shackles and install the shackles. Then reverse the process with the C clamps and center bolt until tight. You might have to use some all thread or a longer center bolt until the leaves are in place and then replace the center bolt with the real one.

Safest way I know to do it, and much easier to spread just the main leaf than all of them together.

Don

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just, for the love of God, make sure you use C clamps and not over center "Visegrip" type clamps. I have done this procedure literally hundreds of times in the past, but got in a hurry at a clients house a year or two ago and used "what I had..." I saw stars, birdies and spaceships for a day or two, and was lucky that was it. BE CAREFUL!!!

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've used a board and a pair of C-Clamps on front springs to move them out about an inch, but I'm not sure if that's advisable for a rear spring.

5. Do what Don said,not hard and SAFE!

6. Jack up the front of a 48 Buick. Role rear bumper of your A under front bumper of the Buick. Set spring in rear cross member and hook up one shackle. Put blocks of wood under other spring eye and slowly lower the Buick. When the other shackle will fit, put it in and tighten it down. Jack Buick back up and role A out from under it. Hey, it worked for me in high school.

7. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

i had planned on taking the pack apart and going that route....just as i did when i built the car and removed leafs before. just wanted to make sure that was the best (and easiest) way...before i didnt have a spreader bar. now that i got one..i dont freaking need it. cant wait to get the front end new axle and leaf....attitude ajustment in 2 weeks...

8. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406229869.848117.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406229883.864586.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406229914.183427.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Anyone done the front drop axle.... Do the front torsion bars need to be shortened?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!