Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a Jeep AX15 5 Speed Trans to SBC (with pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevymike, Aug 30, 2011.

1. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

is that distance with the adapter? can you give us a trans mount distance from the face of the adapter to the center line of the mount?

thanks.

-danny

2. pzary3233

pzary3233

Because it's hot rodding no matter what. Besides, the information could be used to throw the transmission in a Model A just as easily as any other vehicle.

If you've got something constructive I'm all ears.

You've saved the expense of a T56 or a TKO instead of using a 4 speed without overdrive. (I'll skip the T5 all together). These transmissions have been known to hold good power and be reliable. That's an Extra 1k to throw at the car in another area.

I can get the whole thing attached to a SBC for under 1k INCLUDING the price of the transmission. Try that with a T56 or TKO and see how you come out. Will it hold up to a 600hp SBC? Who knows? I don't need it to do that. 350hp is about all I care to throw at it. If I want more I'll jump in another car.

3. 73RR

73RR

Actually NOT. it is similar but much smaller. The ax5/ma5 was a 4-cyl trans application.

It would appear that the others, who actually contributed something useful, used the OT applications as examples.

The 12" is for trans only, the adapter thickness could vary with the vendor. Check the Novak web site, it might indicate something. The previous pics make it look to be about 1".

4. pzary3233

pzary3233

Interesting... I was not aware that it was much smaller? The front plate from the AX15 bolts to the MA5, I do not know if the AX5 front plate is the same?

Either way they are all variants of the Toyota/Aisin R154 design.

The MA5 is pretty much an R154 Toyota transmission (found in Turbo Supras). From my understanding many of the R154 components swap over according to Marlin Crawler.

I'll have an AX15 laying next to the MA5 in a few hours, then we can see what's up.

I'm very interested in any other tech you have.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  5. Greg55_99

Greg55_99

As a correction, the MA5 IS a newer variant of the AX15. NOT the AX5. The AX5 is a vairant of the Toyota G52/58. Bolt patterns on the MA5 and AX15 are the same.

Greg

6. pzary3233

pzary3233

That was what I had thought... 73RR had said it was an AX5 variant?

7. great thread!

8. 73RR

73RR

...well, I sit corrected... Previously, Novak's web site indicated the ax5/ma5 correlation...
    Today, as Greg says, the ax15 is indicated as similar. Gotta love the internet!:D

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Novak AX15 to Chevy adapter plate is right at 15/16" thick........just measured mine.

Ray

10. Window Licker

Window Licker

11. rockthevox

rockthevox

Howdy folks maybe someone can tell me where to look for an AX-15 slip yoke

------------>>>>>>2 WHEEL DRIVE ONLY<<<<<<----------------------

i got one that the junk yard claims (where i bought from) came out of a 96 V6 Dakota
    i got a flywheel clutch pack and hydro lines
    its a 27 spline output with about a 1.500(ISH****) rubber seal opening and looks to be just over 1.00 shaft O.D.(ISSSH)

this is the chrysler part number for a 96 Dakota with such a tranny (4 banger*) 52097858

so far i've found fuck all in the way of yokes tho i got a buddy that claims to have found one from spicer
    and this is that PN

3-3-4281x1350

can someone tell me where to find said part?

i WAS going to put this into a 97 B2500 camper van but when i got this screaming hot deal on a VERY CLEAN 95 dakota (300$$$) with a blown up 46RH (some asshat nuked the clutches)
    i mean how can i say no?
    and because i talked with Chrysler's parts department, this is what i came to understand was as follows

IMPORTENT INFOR HERE(?)

the base model dakota 4banger came with (acording to wells chrysler in Avon park Fl) with an AX-15
    and that "all" V6 and V8 models that came with standards came with NV3500s (slip yoke PN here 52097682?)
    and that the weaker AX5 came with a 30 spline output and the AX15 came with a 27 spline

now i know that is at least at some level bullshit
    reason being that i have a very real AX-15 with a mopar style bell
    so heres my theory on what ACTUALLY happened

the reason in my head that my tranny has its bell is due to in part that it my have been a base model 5 speed
    in a V6 truck
    which is memory serves only made about 195ish ponies and MAYBE 200ish FPoT
    meaning that a 5 speed like the AX-15 would be cheaper and tougher then its comparible twin the AX-5 which i KNOW for a FACT went behind 4 banger Jeeps and daks and will bolt up the same but is a VEEEEEEEEERY weak Bruce Jenner and may only stand up to a MILD 250ish ponies
    and from what ive dug up was on its way out the production door and thus was ultimately usurped by the AX-15 model
    my guse is that the NV3500 was a heavier duty option on all V6+ veichcals say for like high abuse environments like hard trails and the V6 got it my guse becuase one 3.9 and 2 because off roading/county
    makes perfect sence for a V8 too becuase of its normal 3.53 fisrt gear in the NV3500

now the fact that i can buy a flywheelor the clutch pack that JUST so happens to fit my AX-15 for a V8 implies to me that this too was a base model 5 speed stick for ride mama Mopar was cranking out in the 90s
    and this green meanie of a dakota that i got was sold to me as a 360(BUUUULSHIT) not that its impoosible to fit a 360 in just that it wouldnt be cheap and between the balancer coming off and the blown up trany i figure it was a 5.2 mag well with the deal giveaway being the covers and the intake bolts and the S.M.P. EFI no doubt it was a mag motor and considering my options a 5 speed swap would make the truck at least at some level worth keeping get me a smidge better feul ecomony and let me have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun lol

anyways i figured id share becuas eim having a hell of a time trying to track down this slip yoke
    also acording to allpar the AX15 had brothers and sisters in GM and toyota with the aforementioned 1JZ turbo Mark III Supra being named dropped

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope you realize that this is a 7-year-old thread, last commented on 4-years-ago.

13. FWIW, I've seen 2WD Cherokees as fleet trucks at state surplus auctions. Which, if non running, often sell for just a few hundred bucks. You could probably buy one, pull the trans and yoke, scrap it, and only be out gas money.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

WOW!

The correct slip yoke for a two wheel drive 5 Speed AX-15 6 cylinder Cherokee and/or a V6 Dakota can be found at the transmission end of the drive shaft of those vehicles AND should also be in the MOPAR parts book. I have two AX-15 trannies, one each from Cherokee and Dakota. Both from 6 cylinder models, in-line 4.0 Jeep and 3.9 V6 Dakota.

I was heavily into Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee models in the period 1998 thru about 2004 as I bought dozens of wrecks for both rebuilders and to part out. Wranglers only came in 4x4 configuration so are not really germane to this conversation other than for examples of engine/trans pairing which was consistent with Cherokee 4x4 and 4x2 as well. In ALL cases the 4 cyl models had AX-5 (relatively weak) and 6 cyl were always AX-15....through at least the end of Cherokee production in 2001. Though quite scarce in the Midwest, I bought 6 cyl 2WD Cherokee’s when I could find them, both 5 spd and automatic (also an Aisin unit in Cherokee......Chrysler in Wrangler)

As for Dakotas, I have more limited exposure, but what experience I did have indicates early Dakotas had AX-5 with 4 cyl and AX-15 on V6 models. I never had ‘hands on’ V8 Dakota 5 speed.

Sometime soon after 2000, Jeep began using the NV series trans in Wranglers and possibly/likely Dakotas....but I have no experience with them, but to the best of my knowledge, the Aisin AX-5/AX-15 trans were exclusive to a production by time period as were the later NV series.....NV units were NOT mixed in production with Aisin unless it was for Dakota V8 and/or Ram1500 applications.

To summarize, I would think the trans yoke for a 2 WD AX-15 should be in the Jeep Cherokee and Dakota parts book......and if not supplied any longer, some of the aftermarket driveline suppliers ought to have access. Lastly, a salvage yard, especially in southern areas, may have a 2WD driveshaft from a 6 cyl 5 spd Cherokee or from a 2WD V6 Dakota in their inventory.

Not sure if any of this dissertation is useful to you, but I hope it helps.

Ray

firstinsteele likes this.