Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a Bullet center cap in a 57 Cadillac Hubcap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmac620, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dmac620

dmac620

I am looking to put some bullet center caps onto the '57 Cadillac hubcaps that are on my 50 Chevy. I have read that the bullets have a threaded 1/4" hole that allows you to bolt them to a flat center cap. As you can see in the picture, the hubs on the front of my Chevy extend past where a flat center cap would mount. I can't just put a stock flat center cap on it and then bolt the bullet to it. Any suggestions on how I could go about mounting the bullet to the cap?

Attached Files:

• hub.jpg
      hub.jpg
      File size:
      215.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like your hub might be sticking out too far to do it without making a special bracket but here is what I did with the 57 Buick caps for my 48. I may change to a different bullet as I'm not really liking the bullets I have very well.
    [​IMG]
    Cap with bullet

Backside
    [​IMG]

Closeup of disk I made out of scrap lexan to hold the bullet.
    [​IMG]
    That's quarter inch Lexan that was left over from something else but some aluminum sheet metal thick enough to not flex would work too.

On that one you may have to bend some pieces that fit inside the openings in the cap and come out enough to clear the dust covers to hold the bullets.

3. Mark T

Mark T

Your going to need a backing plate that looks like an Abraham Lincoln Hat with a hole in the middle for the bolt, the top of the hat will slide into the hole in the hubcap from the back side and the bolt will be recessed inside the hat. I hope that makes sense to you.

4. dmac620

dmac620

That actually makes complete sense. Thanks.

5. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

You could use a wider rim like a 15x6. I think them stock 50 chevy rims are 15x5. Any one here will correct me I'm sure. Another option is to remove the dust cap...

6. teddyp

teddyp

i glued the bullets on these,s 57 caddy,s back in the 90,s for a in door car show used silicone put a bead around it been on since then i even had a tire blow and it stayed on

Attached Files:

7. Glue is your friend. Look for a 2 component glue like a jb weld and put em on with that.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to suggest that but saw that he already had his wide whites mounted A simple bracket like Mark T suggested is easy enough to make in about ten minutes and a guy can probably find one he can trim down to fit at Home Depot or Lowes if he is a bit lazy. It's not really rocket science. Measure, bend, drill and install no biggie.

When I talked to Gene Winfield about bullets for the caps a few years ago he just said to drill a hole in the middle of the plastic Caddy centers if they clear the hub.

9. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

I made a hat out of abs plastic pipe and sheet....pic here or message me for a call

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I read it twice, but that my friend, is the best analogy of a bracket I have ever read!!!! "Abraham Lincoln Hat Bracket" CLASSIC.

Godspeed
    MrC.

luckytramp likes this.
  11. dmac620

dmac620

I ended up bending a piece of flat steel that I had laying around the garage. I put in enough bend to clear the protruding dust cap. I put a dab of JB Weld under the bent steel, centered the bullet, and then tightened up the bolt. Worked out well.

Attached Files: