Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing 3" rear lowering blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doll Face Striper, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Doll Face Striper

Doll Face Striper
    from Lombard,IL

I want to lower the back end 3".....does anyone have pics of how to do it step by step? Ive never done it before, obviously and if you can walk me thru step by step to where a newbie can understand, that would be great. :)

2. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

its pretty easy, just get the rear of the car up on jack stands, unbolt the stock u bolts, throw them away, jack up the rear at the center section, put the blocks in, make sure they are the right way, male side up, drop the rear end back down over the blocks making sure the blocks are in the correct spot, then put the new u bolts on!. also may want to take the time and clean up some things under the car, always helps down the line...

good luck dropping your car!

sorry, no pics, but its really a very easy thing to do if you have the right tools

3. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

what is it your trying to lower ?

4. Doll Face Striper

Doll Face Striper
    from Lombard,IL

'63 falcon...
    but thanks ol'skool29 for the info!

5. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

no problem, when you look under the car, you can pretty much tell what needs to be done, and where. post pics if you can before, during installation, and after! that falcon will look great lowered

and when you jack up the rear end to make room for the blocks, make sure it doesnt fall to one side, might want a helper to hold it level

6. Chopperman

Chopperman

If using blocks i would suggest using steel blocks not alum. Alum blocks can compress and come lose. I have also seen them shatter apart.

7. DrJ

DrJ

3" blocks under a leaf spring car with 13" wheels will have the ends of the U bolts damn near gouging the pavement.

Better idea would be to de-arch the springs and use 2" maximum blocks.

8. Barn-core

Barn-core

FYI unless you have special u-bolts made for the Falcon, the ones that come with the lowering block kits will be too wide. The ones in the kit are 3 inch while the Falcon axle is like 2 1/2 or something. An alternative would be to elongate the holes in the shock plate to allow use of the u-bolts from the kit, not the best way, and some would say not to, but I have done it this way quite a few times and haven't encountered any problems. Also if it is a 6 cyl with the stock 13" rims a 3" block will put the shock plate below scrub line. You might want to do a 2" block, and remove a leaf spring. I kow I just gave you a lot to think about, but don't get dicouraged, none of these are big problems, and they can all be worked around. Make sure you post some pics when you're done. On a side note I'm actually in the middle of doing this right now, only instead of blocks, I reversed my own main leaves, and removed one leaf from the pack, it should give me at least three inches without using blocks. Good luck.

Edit: looks like Dr J beat me to some of the info while i was typing my book!

9. la mosca

la mosca
    from Everywhere

What do you think about the profile If I had 3" drop coils (front) / 2" blocks rear on 13"'s in a 63 falcon? think it would level it out or a slight rake? The rear sags a little lower as it is.