Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Inside the head casting on a flathead six.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, Dec 28, 2020.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Wondering if anyone has taken an L head to the handsaw and sliced it open along it length just to see what's going on there in term of where the head bolts go through and spark plugs screw into, and what the coolant flow passages look like. Would like to see a 50/50 slice and maybe a 2/3 - 1/3 slice. Does any body have one that is unusable or pictures taken of one that been sliced through. Would it be possible to make a 2 piece head from (that awful billet stuff) aluminum as a cad cam project?

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I know when I put my aluminum Edmunds head on I really spent time cleaning, chasing threads and scraping carbon. Inside the heater hole behind the number six cylinder was a piece of wire. Must have been left over from the sand casting. I tried pulling it out but it wasn’t budging so it’s still in there.

3. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

What is the object of this experiment? There are 2 versions of the flat 6. One or both had a problem with coolant flow at the front of the head. There is a fix for this but I can't remember what it is. Can you enlighten us with what you hope to learn from slicing one? I'm curious.

4. I don't have any heads cut apart - but to answer your last question - yes it is possible to make a 2 piece machined head as a cad/cam project. It has been done by others for other makes and there is nothing special that would keep you from doing that with a Dodge/Plymouth or Chrysler/Desoto flathead 6 engine.

Glenn - is that possible "fix" the difference between the bypass and non-bypass head setups? In my mind, that would make sense and it would explain both variants.

5. brading

brading