Register now to get rid of these ads!

inner fender louvers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roaddog, Jan 6, 2014.

1. roaddog

roaddog

I have homemade inner fenders and I want to get some of that heat out of the engine bay,should I punch the louvers in towards engine to bring air in or punch them out.any suggestions

Attached Files:

2. Just as an example, the 1937 Lincoln V12s had the louvers punched "into" the engine bay and the openings facing to the front.....

Attached Files:

3. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I would have thought you'd want them punched from the inside facing backwards so that the airflow over the engine is increased, in thru the grill, over the engine, out the inner fenders. Pretty sure a louvered hood is the same principle, air in the front and out the top, over the engine, so getting rid of the warmer air.

4. The louvers you speak of will be exits. Treat them as such.

Cosmo

5. The Lincoln Zephyr has gotten it right, I think. That way, the fan will push air into the louvers since they are acting like miniature hood scoops and will catch the hot air and direct it out of the engine bay. If the louvers were punched outward, a lot of the air would bi-pass the flush louver hole and simply circle around the engine bay. I am pretty sure that the Zephyr designers did a few tests....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Either way that 31Dodger shows above will work, but trust me you want to do it the second way! In Inner fender panels, punching the louvers out to the wheel well side has the distinct advantage of not turning your hands to hamburger when you are wrenching on the exhaust manifolds or headers of your engine. The louver raised into the engine compartment I guaranty will catch your hands and make you swear and throw tools...

7. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Punch them towards the wheel wells, you are relying on the lower air pressure in the wheel wells to draw the air out, not the push of the air in the engine bay.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Well, I know Chrysler products were well engineered, so maybe they had it right. Here is a 1935 Dodge Brothers with the louvers punched pointing out to the wheel well. I see my previous theory fading in the distance....

Attached Files:

9. Think about a hood,which way do they punch louvers?

Look at the early Fords,all the louvers on the side panels are designed for air to move away from the engine.

You want the hot air to escape. HRP