Register now to get rid of these ads!

inline fuel pressure regulator for carbertor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1968pickup, Nov 19, 2013.

1. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

the old owner of my 230 tornado inline 6 put a electric fuel pump on it and it is pressurizing my holley 1904 carb to much so it leaks I ordered a stock mechanical pump but my buddys dad suggested a adjustable inline fuel pressure regulator has anyone used one of these ?how well do they work?I haven't done to much research on it yet but figured this would be a good place to start

2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I had one on a 450 hp 340 mopar. I had no problems with it and my dad is running it now with no problems. I think it was regulate to 4 to 6 pounds.

3. R Pope

R Pope

For the price of a regulator, you can buy a stock mechanical pump that's made to work. Electrics are OK when you need them, but a major pain when you don't.

4. hotstuff1

hotstuff1

You will also need a inline gauge to adjust the pressure , but they work well . Are you running a return line ? About 4.5 lbs is all the holley can hold

5. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

No return line ... I ordered the mechanical stock pump ....and when I tested the pressure it was at 5.5 I was just thinking of adding the pressure regulator too

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have a fuel pressure regulator and gauge on both my cars. I am running about four and a half pounds of pressure on both. It makes sense to take as much pressure off your seats as possible. On of the guys in the local club was always bitching about his carb and car and we found his fuel pump was pushing 16psi to the carb. He put in a prv and his trouble went away.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I run pressure regulators on all my hotrods, even those with mechanical fuel pumps. Generally a mechanical pump wont put out too much pressure, but occasionally they do. I had a buddy who kept having carb problems with the 350 in his hotrod, and drove us nuts trying to figure out why it kept flooding. Finally put a gauge on it and it was putting out nearly 9 lbs. from the mechanical pump. Installed a pressure regulator and no more carb problems.

8. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

Which one should I get and from were

9. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I took this (used to be) cheapy one of my hot rod that was on there at least 6 years,
    and put it on the 40.
    It works great but they were $15 now they're $30.
    There's a number dial 1-5 but I'm not sure if I'd trust that as the actual pressure.
    [​IMG]

This is the Holley one I got for the 40,
    but it was so big I couldn't fit it anywhere without rerouting the lines.
    I also needed adapters to reduce it down to the threads I needed.
    Make sure you get the LOW PRESSURE version,
    some are made for 1-6 pounds and others from 5-20 or something like that.
    This was an ebay deal for about $25 and works great.
    I'd get a fuel pressure gauge so you're not guessing the pressure.
    [​IMG]

TP

10. bgaro

bgaro

i'm running the edelbrock version of the second one zibo has pictured. it was pricey, but works well. also if your gonna run a guage remember its most accurate in the middle of its range.

11. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

ordered one like zibos now what to set it ? at what is the ideal pressure for a one barrel 1904 this is a stock engine just need it to run good not a high performance engine I will just be happy when it runs and doesn't leak fuel!!!!

12. bgaro

bgaro

you'll have to mess around with it. get that gauge in there too. all i can tell you is less than u have now.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Play around with it, until it performs like you want it to. This is hot rodding. There isn't a specific "How to manual" for everything.

Every time, I have NOT used a regulator, I end up getting one anyway. There's talk of the Mr. Gasket $30 one being bad, but I've NEVER had a bad one.

14. Prob not more than 2#

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I am using a regulator like zibo has pictured. It is on a 3/8 fuel line mounted on my firewall along with a moon fuel pressure gauge that is liquid filled. The 383 sbc has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump so I use a carter electric fuel pump mounted near the fuel tank with a fuel filter between the tank and pump. I run 5&1/2 lbs of pressure. the moon gauge gives accurate pressure reading all the time. Been using this set up for 16yr. now with good success on a Edelbrock 600 cfm.....................

16. I'm using that Holley one pictured. Works great I've had no issues and is easy to adjust.

17. fordor41

fordor41

I bought one at autozone, offenhauser I believe, for about $35. Works good. I'm running my 302 at about 3-4 PSI. Stopped gas weep from the carb, especially when hot. Connected right before the carb inlet filter.

18. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

Got rid of the electronic pump and got a mechanical problem solved

19. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

If this is right in 62 the sixes were 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 psi
    http://www.ehow.com/list_7619194_1962-impala-tune-up-specs.html

I'd measure the pressure I have now. (and of the new mechanical pump if you go that way.)

Where and when does it leak?
    Bad float setting or junk stuck in needle/seat can make the float and gas level too high, even if the pressure is correct.

What model electric?

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The problem with a stock cheapo inline regulator is they have no accommodation for a gauge. You really can't depend on the numbers on those cheap regulators to really give you the pressure it's marked for. The cheap regulators also don't hold constant pressure, so the fluctuation can be several pounds. I watched one with a gauge and removed it after seeing how it fluctuated.
    I would never try to set a regulator without a gauge after it, and I prefer the Holley that has two outlets so I can install the gauge in one, and feed the carb(s) from the other. Summit also sells one that's made by Holley, but unmarked. Much less money, but same quality.

21. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

I've had one of the flat round type with the knob on top...inexpensive type. They are sold under a variety of company names. The one I had sprung a leak... geyser would be more accurate, as I drove into my driveway. I smelled gas and shut it off but very nearly had a huge fire. I subsequently found video on youtube of several other failures. The gasket around the parting line fails. There was about six pounds coming into it and 3 leaving. I replaced it with the Holley type shown above. YMMV

s_f_l

22. fsae0607

fsae0607