Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline Ford 6 bangers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin Joe, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Picked up a 6 banger and auto tranny out of a 65 Fairlane last sunday.
    Price was right and I couldn't see it going to the crusher. Besides, it's different and I think I need something different right now. Don't know squat about them. Anyone have any insite or websites about these little 6 poppers? I'm assuming this one is a 200 till I dig down thru the grease and grime to verify it.

2. plan9

plan9

you can check out http://www.inliners.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

i know theres more but this is what iam currently sifting through

3. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

As long as the motor was orig - yeah. it's a 200. Seven main bearings, and a friggin' tank of a motor.

I've got a buncha tech articles on the straight 6. Biggest limitation is the cast-in manifold; most rodders got around that by milling a pair of flats on the log and mounting a progressive 3X1 setup. I have a techie piece where the manifold was milled off and an adapter plate was oven-brazed on so FI could be installed - that's a bit freaky, and out of the range of 'normal' mods. Other method of makin' power is to blow or turbo it; the bottom end will take the heat!

The 1st gen sixes used in the falcons (same basic engine architecture) were used in class hydro racing; an alcohol injected 140 cu in six could turn 180+ HP. Anyway, there usedta be speedparts available (clifford is a source) as a result of the hydro biz - but that was 30 years back.

4. plan9

plan9

someone told me 80s superchargers off tbirds are a good and cheap source for boosting the 6's power output.

i believe it... deffinately something i will be looking into in the near future.

5. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

It's the same size motor...

The blower on the SC bird is an Eaton M90. Same blower is used on the 3.8 GM supercharger set-up; there are a bazillion of them out there and they're dirt cheap - few hundred bux a pop on ebay. Downside of the M90 is the pulley is not easily removed to boost pressure beyond the 6-ish PSI of a stock 3.8 GM setup, nor do they like much overboost (over 10-12 PSI.) If you were to want to go whole hog, the eaton M112 is bigger - they're tradin' at $500 give or take a few on ebay as the blown cobra crowd is upgradin' to kenne bells and whipples.

Anyway- it's a cheap way to go to make xtra HP on a six banger!

I remember now...

I have an article somewheres where Ak Miller adapted Mercedes FI to the Ford six - a plumber's dream. 200+ HP.

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

try fordsix.com lotsa good info there, even on turbos and blowers and stuff. i'm runnin one in my girlfriends falcon, but i went with a later 250, bolted to a mustang bellhousing, bolted to a thunderchicken T-5 tranny. using a duraspark I dizzy, fired by a GM HEI ign module. only running a single holley 1904 right now(way under carbed, engine only pulls to 3500) but will soon be 3 holleys once i finish rebuilding the extra carbs and build new linkage. it drives like a dream, torquey, in a light car with an overdrive means i can drive it hard and make a lot of noise with the straight pipes, or "tractor it down" and lug it along in a high gear at 1000 rpm and sneak around quiet like.

7. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

They're nice motors. I had a bunch of them in falcons, Fairlanes, and mavericks over they years. The one in my '65 Fairlane blew the trans three times. I'd performance-tuned that little bugger; it could run with a 340 duster thru 2nd gear - but that was mostly a result of it having a short final drive ratio.

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Yep. Fordsix.com is the place to go for six in a row. good people on that board, and very knowledgable. thats where i get most of my 223 questions answered :cool:

9. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Thats funny cuz i cant get any answers there. haha.. maybe i should ask a normal question?

10. Powerband

Powerband

(Quote) -"try fordsix.com lotsa good info there, even on turbos and blowers and stuff. i'm runnin one in my girlfriends falcon, but i went with a later 250, bolted to a mustang bellhousing, bolted to a thunderchicken T-5 tranny. using a duraspark I dizzy, fired by..." (Endquote)

Hey Ray sorry if I hijack your post for a minute :

I have a few Ford "log" six projects and I'm trying to put a Manual tranny behind a 250. I was hoping you could remember how many tooth flywheel and bell you used. A few people have told me I have to use a 157 tooth SBF flywheel and bell. Nobody seems to be able to tell me why I can't use the more common 164 tooth wheel and bell. I know the 250 uses a neutral balance flywheel and a SBF bellhouse pattern but there supposedly is some problem (Starter?) with the 164 tooth bell. What bell did you use for the T5, did you use a spacer plate?. I have a Toploader that I've been told I need a C5DA - 6 bolt 157 Aluminum bell but I'd rather go right to the longer bell for the T5 IF i can figure out what to use..

Thanx - Powerband -

http://photobucket.com/albums/v296/Powerband/

[​IMG]

Siamese port divider for Headers:
    [​IMG]
    The minimalist approach:
    [​IMG]

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

LOL you and i dont have a "normal" sicks banger neither man... those guys eat sleep and shit falcon six motors tho :eek: :p

13. mustangsix

mustangsix

Powerband, you can use either the 157 or the 164 tooth wheel. The thing you have to keep in mind is that the bell and the engine plate have to match the flywheel and any flex/flywheel has to be neutral balanced for a six. The smaller bell is recommended because of limited clearance in the tunnel of some Falcons and early Mustangs.

The only other issue will be the crank bolt pattern, but you already knew about that one.

And try www.fordsixparts.com for stuff. Mike does a good job catering to the Ford six crowd. Well, maybe not the guys running flatties and 223's...:rolleyes:

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea yea... rub it in... lol :p

actualy he does have a few things up there for us vintage freaks... cams and lifters from stock to agressive

15. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Might wanna check with Bigbob409 on Ebay too. He had a six with nos Jahn's 12:1 pistons and a Hilborn on for like $950 and I don't think it sold. Just FYI. I thought it was cool.

16. ray

ray
    from colorado

funny you should ask, i actually DID run it for a short time with a cast iron truck bellhousing, and the flywheel(164 tooth) from a 300 six, with an adaptor i made to fit it to the t-5. it worked fine, though the clutch did feel like a "truck" clutch, but it wasn't bad by anything but new car standards. i modified the stock z-bar, i drove it to austin and (almost) back, 100 miles from home the clutch quit working, i ended up yanking it out and switching to the mustang bell and flywheel(157 t). had to have the mustang flywheel rebalanced at a local shop. the mustang cable clutch is much smoother operating and easier to adjust. if you want a t-5, the mustang bell is the only real junkyard chioce, just a toploader, any ol mustang or other bell from a 302/289 should work. with the truck bell, it took a specific manual tranny starter, with the mustang bell, it uses the same starter as an automatic. if you decide to go with a large flywheel and a 5 speed, i got a good used flywheel, cast iron bell/complete new clutch(2000 miles) and adaptor i made for the t-5 i'd probably let go cheap, but it's probably overkill for any small six.

[QUOTE=Powerband
    I have a few Ford "log" six projects and I'm trying to put a Manual tranny behind a 250. I was hoping you could remember how many tooth flywheel and bell you used. A few people have told me I have to use a 157 tooth SBF flywheel and bell. Nobody seems to be able to tell me why I can't use the more common 164 tooth wheel and bell. I know the 250 uses a neutral balance flywheel and a SBF bellhouse pattern but there supposedly is some problem (Starter?) with the 164 tooth bell. What bell did you use for the T5, did you use a spacer plate?. I have a Toploader that I've been told I need a C5DA - 6 bolt 157 Aluminum bell but I'd rather go right to the longer bell for the T5 IF i can figure out what to use..

Thanx - Powerband -

17. plan9

plan9

hey ray, when you say overkill, do you mean for anything but competition use? :)

im not well versed in any of this but it would seem you are using some heavy duty components.

18. ray

ray
    from colorado

yup!

i used the truck bell and flywheel cause they were in the junkyard and cheap. considering a stock inline has about a third the power of a stock smallblock, the mustang parst should handle even stoutly built inline six! good clutchs for mustangs are cheap too. the decision to use the truck stuff was purely using what was available at the time. i will use the mustang parts if i ever do another.

oh, and part of the reason i switched to the 157 tooth flywheel and bell, was ground clearance, "her" car is slammed, and i caught a speed bump or two on the bellhousing, so the smaller one bought me an inch of clearance.

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

oh, BTW powerband, hows that inline sound with the zoomies?:D

20. mustangsix

mustangsix

21. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

I'm not tryin to start a shit storm here, but I would NOT advise using clifford performance. They don't ship, they lie, and when you prove they have your money, it takes them two years to get it back to you.

I know offenhauser makes a 6 cylinder intake and is sold through speedway but if you're looking for a head I wouldn't know where to go

22. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Yo man,,, i didnt know you posted here! :p

izzat a two hunnert? sounds REAL healthy :cool:

23. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Sweet. What manifold and carbs you have on that thing?
    I know the Offy 3 carb manifold is still available.
    Isky, Crow and Comp Cams make cams for them.

Anyone have cool pics of these little 6 poppers?
    I'm thinking an early 60's style rail or roadster would be fun.
    Or maybe something like a lightweight 27 roadster for the street.

24. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Smokin Joe:

here is a shot of mine from when i started cleaning all the grime and gunk off my 223 block... its a mockup of all my gofast gear i took about two months ago or so.

the block is dirty as hell in this pic, but you get the idea of what it "will be"

T

[​IMG]

25. Powerband

Powerband

Thanks for all the info on the 250 Log Six Bell/Tranny/Clutch setup. I have bought a light 157 Tooth flywheel and am looking for the matching bell as that seems the best option.
    The minimalist L6 with the zoomies is not mine, I got the pic somewhere and really liked the simple approach. The '61 Comet the 250 will go in currently has a '71 Maverick 7 main 170 with the 250 Head worked with .070 milled, large valves, 5.0 springs, custom spring seats,retainers etc... It's a "place holder" for the 250 being worked up. The Comet has a Toploader, Hooker dual out headers and cable operated Xhaust Dump. I also have a '63 Falcon Wagon Six with factory 4 speed option and I'm putting together an Offy 3X1 setup for the mill. I have two 8" Maverick rears for these cars and more ideas than brain cells - or time.

[​IMG]

Powerband
    [​IMG]

26. Broncofjg

Broncofjg

I just bought an early 80's 6. When ford went to a low mounted starter. I need a manual bell housing and plate for this engine. Anyone have one or know who does?

27. 39sledge

39sledge

i have a 300 in my car i,m hoping it runs good lot of money in the damm thing.