Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline chevy 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter johnson, Feb 6, 2010.

1. peter johnson

peter johnson

Hi guys, i got a 40 model chev 6 cylinder and manual box,i thinking of putting this in an early roadster body,are these engines junk?can i run an auto?is there much speed gear around?Any help or fotos appreciated!:rolleyes:

2. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

There are multi-carb intakes, headers & cams readily available for them. But, if it is not junk now it will be soon after you put that stuff on it and hammer it a few times, The bottom end in those engines does not appreciate RPMs. They are ok engines for normal street use but the oiling system and bearings are not designed for performance service.

3. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Peter. Im putting a 292 Chev 6 in a model a pickup. Turbo 350 bolts right behind this motor,not sure about yours,best to get some advice. There is an inline group here on the hamb you should check out. They know plenty about them.

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

He was asking about the '40 engine and transmission. That combination is not the best one to put very much time or money into. The bearings won't stand much and the transmissions have a tendancy to evaporate when much power is suddenly applied. You can scatter a transmission with a stock 216. Anything Chevy from the 235 insert version on up would be worthwhile when used with a later transmission..

5. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Buzzard. Shows how much my comprehension skills have diminished over the years.

6. If it's free, it already runs, and you drive like a grandmother, it would probably be okay.

7. fat141

fat141

Pete, throw them both away, 216 is splash fed oil wise and with the old box you are still tied to a torque tube, thus limiting what rear end you may use. Good cheap and easy combo is post 53 235 + Holden 4 speed + Com. diff. Engine goes right in where tother was, box simply bolts up (using 10mm adapter plate), 3.08 ratio and you're on your way.
    MY opinion only, others may think differently.Good luck
    Rod

8. peter johnson

peter johnson

Thanks Rod,i sort of knew that,but thought there might be a way!Im still a tight arse,but it will cost me in the long run,thanks for your honesty,you cant beat the truth,Pete.

9. fat141

fat141

I should take a picture of you, only you and my mum think I am honest.
    Rod

10. R Pope

R Pope

Lots of Army truck guys Down Under, swap the 216 to one of them. A '41 will be just their cup of tea, lots of army stuff used them.

11. fat141

fat141

Sound advice, tis better if someone can use it.
    Rod