Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline 6 or Hemi in 57 F100???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickcadillacman, May 5, 2010.

1. carbking

carbking

The hemi would be OK.

The six would be OK.

If you change the "f" in the F100 to a "d", then use the hemi.

Since it is a Ford; why not a "period" 8 with some goodies. A 292 or a 312 with a set of dual quads would scream hot rod, and keep it within original make. Or put a 390 in it and call it a hot rod 332.

My own shop truck is a mid-60's F100 Ranger with dual quad 390 4 speed. Power to pull my 18 foot trailer (but not enough brakes, so I use something else); and still (when empty) gets 22 mpg at 70 mph.

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

LOL Guess I should have clarified that! Hemi all the way!

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I just read a few of the comments that suggested a Y-block, and that might not be a bad alternative. I had a .060 over 292 in my '56 F-100, (see avatar) before I swapped in the 429. The little Y-block was good on gas, reliable as hell and sounded great with headers and glasspacks. For what you have in mind, that might be the way to go. In fact, there's a guy over here that has a Y-block & 4 speed for sale, and I might buy that just because I liked mine so much. I don't even have anything to put it in. Sell the 6, stash the hemi and find a Y-block. My 2 cents.

4. I don't have a dog in this race, so perhaps my opinion doesn't matter...

If it were me, I'd put in a 223 (or 262 if one were to be found); it'd drop in easier than any other thing except maybe some Ford V8s that you could find mounts/bellhousing/etc. to fit into that model truck.

Yeah, the hemi will out-power it. Depends whether you want to go fast with it.

I wouldn't sweat the Dodge heads having the heavy industrial exhaust valves... a machinist can install different guides, or sleeve down the ones you have, and get you lighter valves that will flow more and require less spring to keep from floating at speed.

Sounds like you have multiple projects, so might as well keep this as easy as possible, right?

-Bill

5. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

well you guys managed to make me think about the y block hahaha... but they just don't get me that excited, they can make decent power, and sound good (atleast that's what everyone says lol) but when i look at them they look like a sbc to me, and that just doesn't get me too excited... different, yes, but different enough, ummmmmm

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm highly insulted you would compare my Y-block to an SBC... Okay, no I'm not. lol
    You might want to look a bit closer though, its a bit of a reach to say they look alike. All things aside, the Y-block will make more power & sound way better than the six banger. Also, installing one would be a breeze since they were an option in your truck. I always thought a six banger with glass packs sounded like a buffalo fart.

7. skidsteer

skidsteer

If you plan on driving it, then go with the 6.

8. I can't believe that you candy asses want the 6. Hemi all the way! That shouldn't be a question. Bigger is always better. Except in my girlfriends.

9. jb3778

jb3778
    from Toledo

Love the six, but I'd go with the Hemi.