Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline 6 or Hemi in 57 F100???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickcadillacman, May 5, 2010.

1. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

Little history here if you want http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471855 but short story I inherited a few projects...

And I think the first one is going to be my old mans 57 f100 he use to drive all the time as his shop truck, I don't plan on doing much cosmetically other than the stance and some white walls, it's got that nice jalopy look to it already :D

Anyway the question is what motor, it needs one since the one in it is kaputt originally I was thinking there is a 6 cyl i could swipe from a 60 f100 (I have other plans for that one) and throw a few goodies on it (valve cover, 2 or 3 carb mani, split exhaust) or there is a 315 Dodge Hemi (supposedly runs) that I have no idea what to use it in since I have no Dodges and all the "hot rods" are getting flatheads or nailheads. Same thinking with the Hemi since it runs, just an intake and headers for now. I know there are going to be the people that say you can't put a Dodge in a Ford but blah....

So now I'm not sure which way to go, the 6 would be cheaper, Hemi I think would be cooler, and honestly I think powerwise they would be pretty close.... hmmmm Opinions?

2. Running the six-banger would be the quickest and easiest option...

3. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I would go with the six

4. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Thats the ticket go with the 6 .......then send me the baby hemi.

5. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

Interesting... no one for the Hemi? I'm not much of a Chrysler guy, more of a Ford and GM guy, but a Hemi is a Hemi, albeit a baby Hemi...

The 6 would definately be easier and cheaper...

But wouldn't it be pretty cool to pop the hood and have a Hemi sitting there with three or four dueces crackle'n though a couple duals?

Guess I could always just sell the Hemi :p

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Go for the 6

7. Always 6 in a row

8. For a "Shop truck" do the 6. Make a HOT ROD out of the Effie, go with the HEMI

9. George

George

A hemi can make anything cool! A pick up with a 6 is nothing to get excited about.

10. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Scratch both of those and get yourself a good running y block.Reliable,easy to work on and they sound great.good luck either way

11. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

it's definately more of a hot rod, it was my dads "shop" truck, not mine :D

thought about that, but i don't have a y block... i do know where i could get one though ;)

is that your truck in the avatar? care if i ask how much it's lowered? straight axle of IFS? tire sizes? that's pretty damn close to what i want, i think hahah

12. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

I've ran a 300CID Ford six in my F-100 since 1987, fun, but think I'd go with the Hemi. Couldn't cost any more when ya start adding speed parts to the six.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  13. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. krooser

krooser

The 6 would be easier... the Hemi would increase the trucks value far more than the cost of the conversion... I'm not sure where Jonathon gets his info but I doubt the 6 would be "more" reliable...

15. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love my 300 six, but if I had a Hemi there wouldn't be any doubt which one I'd run. Hemi all the way.

16. 73RR

73RR

...unless you just won the Lotto, maybe you should create a ledger with all of the associated costs for each installation....:D...

The 315 is a pretty good 'little' Hemi, even in stock trim it will easily out run a hot-rod 6.

17. servi53

servi53

hemi all the way!!!

18. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

I,m sorry i guess i dont understand the question , inline six or a HEMI ???? Is that even a question ???? Dont you have any friends that could just slap you? Just kiddin i vote HEMI.

19. 54greg

54greg

It's all about the six

20. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

wow pretty much split just like me, the 6 bangers had the early lead but the hemi came on strong late haha

thanks for the links!!!

hahaha, yeah that's actually what i thought most people would say, actually surprised with so many of the 6 banger people...

the 6 banger has it's benifits, but i think i'm leaning hemi cause it's a hemi :D, decisions decisions

21. rodger6494

rodger6494

A choice between a ford inline 6.A good reliable motor,or a Dodge hemi. a really cool rare motor. I say take the road never traveled,and split the difference! Put a Slant Six in there!! NO ONE will EVER see that coming. ha ha. The question you need to ask yourself,if you haven't already is,in your head:is it still your dad's old ride,or are you gonna make it your own?

22. teddyp

teddyp

go with the six i,m just too tired of hearing put a hemi in it a shop truck with a hop up six would be cool just my 2 cents

23. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Its lowered six inches with reversed eye monoleafs from Sacramento vintage and a two inch dropped axle from Sids in OK.tires are Coker H78-15.good luck

24. I'm with Javier on this - the Y block is an easy drop-in and superior to the 6. They run great and sound great, IMHO. But I'm a Ford-in-a-Ford kinda guy.... Can't argue the hemi is cool but I'd consider selling it and using the extra $$ to finish out the effie. Just my two cents (worth only one cent in today's market)

25. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

6 banger back in the lead :p...

Slant six here we come!!! hahahhaa

That's a good point though... he had visions of hot roding it a bit too, most of his rumblings where about the six though, but occationally he would flirt with a v8... so that's really my delima, would he approve of the hemi? hmmmm, he's always been a hot rodder but never got around to building his own cause he was always helping someone else build thiers, and that killed me seing him always taking time for others builds but never his own... so this one is definately for the old man, I really think he would have got a kick out of a hemi or even a y block in his old truck...

Cool, thanks! six inches seems to be about the right stance for these trucks, love the way yours sits!

26. 73RR

73RR

I probably shouldn't suggest this, but.....you really have your choice of just about any engine made, at least before 1980. The Ford pickup is one of those unique vehicles (like model A's) that have had just about every imaginable engine installed.
    The Hemi is as good a choice as any. A 390 Cad would look just as good as 401 Buick or a 383 Mopar or a 390 FE or a xxxxxx. Hell, a 352 Packard will provide plenty of conversation and well as torque.

27. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Always go for the "cool" factor... :cool: Hemi.

28. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

True! as a matter of fact the 60 f100 i would be getting the 6 banger from is getting a blown 425 nailhead :D The 60 was supposed to be my first car but we never got around to it and when i turned 16 he gave me the car he was driving, an 81 eldorado, then i started eyeballing a 69 buick gs he had so he gave that to me (hence my user name buickcadillacman lol) but we never finished that either :( but i swear one day they will all be drivers (since they are never really done right haha)...

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Another vote for the Ford six.