Register now to get rid of these ads!

Injector with a brain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Aug 30, 2009.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

To bad there isn't something like this on the market today. A mechanical injection for a supercharged application that behaves like a carburetor. I realize it's much easier to to do this with an EFI setup, but it just never seems to look right and carburetors could do the job, but if you are going for a real authentic mid to late 60's drag car look, they'd be out of place as well. Anyways, if you haven't ever heard of it, this is Pete Orner's Orner Motive supercharged injection system as seen in the July 1963 issue of Hot Rod magazine.
    aprilmayjune2008 009.jpg

aprilmayjune2008 013.jpg

aprilmayjune2008 011.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Jet96, Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  2. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Its interesting. I wonder why it didnt catch on. After rereading it it is simple enough to copy.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd guess that the racers didn't really see a point in it and there weren't a lot of blown cars on the street at the time?

4. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Untill youve played with leanouts.:D

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. pastlane

pastlane

Bought this so long ago I cannot remember where. Figured I'd do something with it someday...

Attached Files:

Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That's a pretty rare piece. I believe that was for the naturally aspirated version and it mounted on a tunnel ram type manifold. I can't seem to find the article that featured it though.

Deuces likes this.
  7. pastlane

pastlane

As I recall (usually not worth a crap) it was intended to mount on a modified corvette FI intake. It's been a shelf decoration here forever. After looking at it close, it might not have ever been used.

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Here is the other Ornermotive article from the April 1966 PHR.
    aprilmayjune2008 034.jpg

aprilmayjune2008 035.jpg

aprilmayjune2008 036.jpg

aprilmayjune2008 037.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  9. cheap-thrills

cheap-thrills
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have this article also, I think that I understand how it should be set up however I need to find out more information about the fuel pump and return line and if a modern pump can be modified to work.
    That is why I am looking for more detailed information about fuel flow and pressure/ return bleed . It’s not like a hilborn at all as far as I know.

10. catdad49

catdad49

Remember reading this article and thinking that this would be a great system at both the track and on the street. I wonder what happened?

11. Sky_Math

Sky_Math

Hello all. First post! This thread has been quite for the better part of 8 months so hopefully this is still pertinent info. I started down the OrnerMotive rabbit hole by total accident when I was working on designing a new bypass system for an Enderle 2 3/16 injector I have for small block Chevy.

The patent is a great place to start for the design concept and plumbing. I have attached it here. The way the patent lays out the bypass at the pump, it is set up one of two ways, either as a rising pressure system with a fixed orifice as a bypass, or it can be done with a "automatic variable restriction" (variable pressure regulator) as a bypass to give it a variable rate based on engine speed and regulator needle shape.

From the pictures I have seen, it is hard to distinguish which pump bypass design made it into production. The simplified system with the micrometer needle bypass and the priming bypass looks like what is on the systems I have seen images of. If that's the case, the adjustment seen on the pump bypass is actually the priming bypass for start priming.

I'd like to know if anyone has managed to get one of the Orner injectors back together and running.

Peter Orner is still alive too, could always ask him. http://www.biomechanicsofinjury.com/background.html

Attached Files:

SS327 likes this.
  12. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I recently tried to email Dr Peter Orner, a renowned expert on something I don't understand. We met Pete in 1954 when we worked at his fathers alarm company in Cleveland. Pete was a student at Case Western Reserve College. He became a member of our hot rod club, The Euclid Rod Association since he was building a 320 GMC 6 that was a monster. He put it in a 47 Chevy coupe and called in Maybelline 11, a popular song at the time. Pete got his PHD in engineering around the time he invented the injector with a brain. He was interested in medical devices also but needed to be an MD to get accepted so he became a MD. A true genius. Dont know why his injector never caught on but somewhere along the line he won a NHRA championship. Thought you might find this interesting.

Deuces and Tman like this.