Register now to get rid of these ads!

injected 57 chevy found in barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Meester P, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Meester P

Meester P

Hi guys-n-gals
    thought you might be interested in thi, guy has foung a load of tri chev's and chevelles in a barn in good condition.
    It is another forum and you have to scroll down to see the pics.
    Enjoy and happy new year.
    John.
    [​IMG]

2. I don't see anything!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]..HRP

3. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Yeah, and a 32 3-window magically appeared in the garage I've been renting for 3 months! Wow!

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

5. Deuce,I've heard about a wrecked 57 chevy w/t fuel injection in a barn in Charleston,S.C. for years,but seeing is beliving and i ain't seen it yet! [​IMG] HRP

6. Someone found the Grail....
    When the government put in the first potash mine near Saskatoon in the late fifties, there were a couple of Texas engineers that drove up there, one in a 55 B/A wagon with factory air, and a 57 B/A four door wagon with F/I. Couldn't have been too many of them made.

A friend and I spent the better part of a year trying to track down a silver 57 210 four door sedan that was owned by an old fella about 30 miles east of here that had the 250 hp F/I and 'glide. That car seems to have disappeared off the surface of the earth.
    Another interesting aside is that in 57 you could buy both the 250 and 283 hp versions in Canadian Pontiacs, but in the last 20 years, I have only seen one legitimate fuelie, that being a Pathfinder business coupe (no back seat) that an editor of Collector Car, or a similar mag, located in Swift Current, Sask. and restored about 15-7 years ago.
    I do think, however, there are far more "fuelie" cars around now than there ever were new. Just look on E-pay.

This one belongs to a friend of mine, isn't a legit car, but is accurate, with as many acorrect parts as could be located.

Attached Files:

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I wish I had a camera at Hershey a couple of years ago. Someone brought a Fuelie 57 Corvette that had that barn fresh patina. It looked like it had every nut and bolt that the factory put there, but it sure needed lots of work. It was heavily patinated [​IMG] Some how Corvettes and patina don't go together. I guess I remember Corvettes being pampered from the show room.

8. There's a guy I see from time to time at the local cruse nite with a very nice and very stock looking '58 with FI, first time I ever one of those. Guess everyone was cought up with the 348 tri-power!!

CT.

9. av8

av8

Deuce Roadster -- Took a look at the expert Chevy board and learned that I'd been deluding myself for better than four decades thinking that my new factory-built '57 210 post was a Black Widow. Damn! Chevy lied to me, going so far as to put all the H-D options on my 210, like the six-lug wheels and truck brakes, frame reinforcements, giant radiator, stiff springs and shocks, quick steering, tight LSD, close-ratio three-speed, unique non-Corvette 2-1/2 inch outlet rams-horn manifolds on the 2-4 carburetted 283. The bastards!

Well, I got 'em back real good, running quicker and faster every weekend than NHRA national times and speeds for Black Widows running in SS. Damn! What a fool I was! [​IMG]

10. My dad used to tell the story about him and his dad going to buy a try-five Chevy for him to drive... they came across a four door with factorey fuel injection (one of 24 according to that info someone posted) and my grandpa said "that thing will be nothing but a pain to work on"... the dealer then reinforced the fact that they were having troubles with them... so they passed on it an bought something else... this was around 1958 or '59...

Also, FWIW, I heard the term "Black Widow" is something that is somewhat of a new term...
    Sam.

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Deuce Roadster -- Took a look at the expert Chevy board and learned that I'd been deluding myself for better than four decades thinking that my new factory-built '57 210 post was a Black Widowoutlet rams-horn manifolds on the 2-4 carburetted 283. The bastards!

[/ QUOTE ]

When you and I talked before about the 57's I was under the impression that your info was incorrect BUT was not going to argue the point. You were there..I was not. I had a set of Fenton (Black Widow) exhaust manifolds years ago.

If you remember, my uncle.....the independent liquid hauler from the mountains..... had a 57 150 with the 283 and 2 fours. [​IMG] The Chevrolet dealer in Spantanburg SC kept them in stock....for the mountain boys.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Deuce,I've heard about a wrecked 57 chevy w/t fuel injection in a barn in Charleston,S.C. for years,but seeing is beliving and i ain't seen it yet! [​IMG] HRP

[/ QUOTE ]

Danny as you know.......I lived in Charleston for many years. I have hear the stories .....BUT NEVER SEEN THE CAR EITHER.

13. Mojo

Mojo

About 6 years ago, I delivered parts for a dealership. One customer had a bodyshop pretty far out in the woods. I dropped by one time, and there was a 59-60 corvette sitting in their lot. Talk about patina... this car looked like it had been in a barn for 20 years... filty, and nasty.. mold and rat crap all in it. Previous to that, it looked like someone began a restoration by stripping the original paint off with a putty knife. No lie... it had wide flat gouges all over the body. You should have seen the cracks all over the front too... hairline cracks everywhere, old repairs... it was a mess. And what beat all, as screwed up as it was, it was worth at least 35k as it sat. [​IMG]

14. I worked with a guy that said he bought a brand new 57 convertible with the 283 Hp, FI motor. Said everytime he tried to take a trip with the car, it'd die on him. After repeated trips back to the dealer on a wrecker, he traded it in for a 57 Pontiac with 3, 2 barrels. He said the Pontiac was twice the car.

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey your guys stay away from Charleston... When it is unearthed another Charleston person needs it..... LOL

as for fuelies, they are cool (I would love to have a set up) but I have never been impressed with the power compared to the carb version. I have had the chance to drive several in my life... A 59 Chevy sedan, a 57 and 58 corvette, a 57 Chevy vert. All nice cars but with the expection of the corvettes, the big cars just seems to run better without....

16. Jimv

Jimv

I don't know if any other New englanders ever saw this but in NH theres a place called"clarks Trading post" they have a Bear act & lots of antquies there. The Next building is an old gas staion that I think is converted into an antique shop( I maybe mistaken) But there use to be a 57 chevy Nomad wagon that was fuel injected that was there daily driver!! I think it had a surf board on the roof!(NH is known for its surf!!lol).
    It was only about 6 or 7 yrs ago that I saw the car,It was in fairly rough shape.But it was around for years,Does anyone ever remember seeing it?? I did alot of drugs in the sixties,so I could have been flashing back!! [​IMG]
    JimV