Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Initial timing degree for small block chev w points

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nailhead A-V8, May 26, 2019.

1. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

1st thing is to qualify 0 top dead center like 31 Vicky said, then if you don't have an adjustable timing light buy the right size timing tape for the diameter of your balancer installed with 0 top dead center qualified with a piston stop.

Have a helper give it a short hit of 4000 rpm, and set at 36 it should be totally mechanically advanced by then. (All IN)
    Over the years you never know what was changed in the distributor, springs, weights, advance limit bushings ect. so you want to check if it still has about 20 to 22 degrees movement.
    With your helper take a reading at 3000,2000,and idle to document its curve and total movement.

Deuces and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks for taking the time to do that I really appreciate it...as it happens I was familiar with this trick and had done it already this time I rechecked TDC compression stroke set the rotor to #1 THEN used the trick... it worked this time

it was rebuilt by a previous owner but it was a stock van that I highly doubt was modified or balancer replaced...but you never know

Thanks yeah it was a crap shoot took me awhile to find a points dist. in the first place so it was an unknown entity ..all in all I would've been better off bashing the firewall in for the HEI lol:rolleyes:

Crossing my fingers that is not the case

Thanks for detailing the right way to do this...but without the piston stop tool,degree wheel and that there fancy timing light...there's only my way:D

3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Well I got the distributor set so I have full arc which seems to be one tooth ahead of the #1 position at tdc...dwell is set at 30 deg. and I set timing at 12-13 deg. At high idle it runs smooth as silk vacuum gauge 18-20 but at low idle she drops back into the "late valve timing" and gets pretty rough add any more timing and it's balky to start ... I'm starting to suspect a valve issue either from sitting or running it up initially with the timing fully fucked like that. I'm going to call it good for now until I can get the exhaust hooked up maybe some back pressure will help...Thanks for all the help guys!:)

4. Keep at it,,
    You’ll get it.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.