Register now to get rid of these ads!

infobarf: links n stuff on "weldernator" contruction...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burndup, Dec 8, 2003.

1. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

first, the the thread last month with the link to the guy on the mustang board that built his own tig:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=222304&Forum=UBB1&Words=welder&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=100&Old=6months&Main=221513&Search=true#Post222304

some good stuff in there, too, but if ya wann skip to the actual link

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8872

and then some from my own collection, but it may take me a coupla posts

Attached Files:

2. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

3. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Now, some of you may say screw this, I have a $$$$ machine, I don't needa look at this crap... good for you, shut up!
    [​IMG]
    Its for entainment and education value then...

It'd be good to note, that these last two diagrams show no current control on that field winding... thats where the guy who made the tig putthe headlight dimmer... any "J Lo assed" rheostat/ potentiometer will do here.

Also, if you like silence, you could get one of those "compressor grade" electric motors from harbor freight, that'd run the alt too. I'm gonna try the lawnmower approach someday: (sorry, J LO ass-sized jpeg.)

fukkit, lets try that agian...
    -J

Attached Files:

4. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

5. How many rpm does the alternator need ?

6. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    How many rpm does the alternator need ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on how much output current you want!

Figure your alt on your car probably starts getting to work at about 800-1000 rpm... ENGINE rpm, remember, alt rpm is higher because the crank pully is much bigger than the alt pulley, keep that in mind.

And, the alt can be driven at crank speeds up to 5, 6000 rpm! Figure due to the inefficiencies of its design, and basic laws of physics, you're gonna have to put a lot in to get a lot out... don't know much for certain as I haven't built one of these contraptions yet, but I gotta pair of 140 amp caddy alts waiting for the day...

-J