Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info wanted for '43 GMC truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying tattooed monkeys, Apr 28, 2008.

1. I have a lead on a free GMC truck - including machine gun mount (the ultimate suburban shopping accessory?). It is a "big" truck and i am planning to use the cab as a basis for a full fendered pick-up. I am trying to use as much as possible from the truck - to keep the costs lower, and to try and keep some vague sense of originality to the build.

So, with that in mind, I have been searching the net and found a lot of references to 270ci straight-6 engines in these trucks, at least here in Norway. Searched the HAMB and keep getting no matches for GMC - which i think is a bit odd, there has to be more than one GMC fan here on the board!!!

Is this 270 related to the "blue-flame" Chev sixes? Anyone have any experience with them? How available are parts/performance equipment? Is it worth trying to re-use the motor, or is my already scarred head in for another session with that oh-so-famous brick wall?

Cheers
    Bret

2. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. LabRat

LabRat

Here's some eye candy ....[​IMG]

GMC 270 ci Nicson Head

4. LabRat

LabRat

5. LabRat

LabRat

6. R Pope

R Pope

The 270/302 GMC engines are totally different from the 216 and 235 family. Longer, deeper, heavier.

7. Thanks for the help guys.

8. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

www.OldGMCTrucks.com is another good source of information on GMC's.

270 is a great motor, but not as popular as the 302. The external parts are the same on both.

Parts like distributors, generators, starters will interchange with the Chevy motors. Internal parts, and things like manifolds do not.

9. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

With the people who drove those trucks passing on at an alarming rate, I would restore it stock if I were you. It would be a shame to permanently alter a piece of American history like that IMO.

10. Hmm, a "piece of American history"?

It left the US a couple of months after it was manufactured way back in 1943, and has spent 65 years of its life here in Norway. When does it stop being American history?

Aside from that, too much of it is missing to even begin to consider restoring it. And to be honest, even if it was complete, a restoration just doesn't interest me.

I feel no shame in getting this truck back on the road and in use again, in stock form or otherwise.

11. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Yeah, I suppose so. Was it an US army truck, Norwegian army trucks, or what? Whichever country it may be, it's still a special WWII truck. That's all they made in 1943.

I'm fine with whatever you do with it (besides, it's your truck) as long as you leave the machine gun mount! :)

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I think some of the flywheels are the same and the bellhousings interchange. But like OldSub said, the basic motor is longer and completely different. I had always thought about shortening a GMC valve cover to put on my 235.

13. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Not sure that makes any sense to me. The people who drove 32 Fords when they were new are mostly gone already. Should we stop rodding those and restore the ones that remain?