Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects info on what type rear end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Stevens, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ron Stevens

Ron Stevens

We are in the process of building a '58 Chevy Apache, I need some information as to what is the best rear end to put in it. I want to get a doner car, like a camaro, or firebird, but my sons wife says no way to more stuff in the yard, so we have to piece it together. Need a 5 bolt, disks would be nice, but not mandatory.

2. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I think the best deal is the Explorer 8.8 get one with disc brakes ,I think 95 and newer, it will have 31 spline axles ,a good share of them are 3.73 posi , they have a tag on the cover to tell ,parts are readily available and cheap. They are less than $100 around here.Just my opinion

3. 33essex

33essex

If your going to use or look at Explorer axles. All you need to do is check door tag for axle code. If door has not been changed. They are about 59 1/2 inchs axle flange face to axle flange face.
    Explorer
    43 Open 3.08
    41 Open 3.27
    42 Open 4.10
    46 Open 3.73
    45 Open 3.55
    D4 Limited Slip 3.73
    D2 Limited Slip 4.10
    L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. bet on black

bet on black

We just mounted an explorer 8.8 in my sons 55

[​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.

5. I used a 9" rear end out of a speedway catalog for a 67-72 chevy truck on my '58. It was under $600 with brand new cut to fit axles and I had a few third members to choose from. Or you could use a complete rear end from a late fifties-early sixties ford full size car and have your local machine shop drill out the axles and drums to chevy bolt pattern. I had one off a '60 galaxy and it was 61 3/4" mounting surface to mounting surface. Those trucks are 62" so it's the perfect rear end. And you can put an explorer brake set up on those with a little work.

6. aaggie

aaggie

I have posted before but the Ford 8.8 rear end is within percentage points as strong as the old 9" and they are readily available and cheap. Some people are turned off by the offset pinion but it doesn't matter since there is no floor tunnel clearance issues with your truck.

7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Swapped a 57 Pontiac rear axel into my 59 GMC. However, I went with Moser axel shafts to keep the 6 lug wheels.

59 GMC B.png