Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info on early Hemi crate motors???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans' Rod & Cycle, May 27, 2011.

1. I have a '55 Chrysler New Yorker and The Hemi has a tag on The drivere head riveted on that says New Factory Built Mopar Engine . Model 505. The tag has The 505 stamped in, all other writing is from Chrysler. Anybody know what this 505 means?
    Hans

2. Deuces

Deuces

A factory warrenty replacement maybe???

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I had a factory recall replacement block i got from a 51 chrysler, it was a later block, but still long bell, and has no serial #'s, otherwise it was no different, no tags or any odd stamping

Atleast the recall story was from the original owners nephew

4. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Could you post a picture of the tag? Might help us figure out what it is.

Does the engine have any other serial #'s? The normal serials are stamped on the block between the valley cover and the water pump. Most of the replacement blocks don't have them. Some have other numbers stamped there, I have a block with this stamping...

[​IMG]

Here's a reference for the other block markings. The serial you can see with the engine assembled, the rest are under the intake and pretty much impossible to make out without removing it.

[​IMG]

5. I'll try to post the tag, I forgot to look for a ser number

6. here's the tag. has the '55 intake still on it. I'm not around to get the stamped number on the valley, but will hopefully get out there next week.

Attached Files:

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

heck, the tag invites you to call Chrysler with that number for replacement parts. Give it a shot - at the very least it will be a good laugh for most folks.

dj

8. you know i've looked at that tag numerous times...it actaully does say its a replacement motor, not a rebuilt...I wonder if they would always put the same displacement motor back in, even years later...55 was last year of the 331....

9. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Wow. Neat tag. Haven't seen one of those before, but I'm still pretty new to hemi's. I'd definitely be interested in seeing if there's a serial # on the block. Nice find either way though.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Willams Bros. Roadster which frequents Pebble Beach now has the same tag on their Dodge Red Ram Hemi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Here is one that I found on a 56 Desoto S23 330 inch Hemi. When I bought the engine it was in an old schoolbus. The tag number is 277.

Attached Files:

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have a Mopar price sheet that list new replacement engines and short blocks. They are all coded by a 3 digit number, such as the 505 or 277.