Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Info on AV8 K member clutch pebbel assembly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by telecustom, Sep 16, 2010.

1. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

I'm getting a list to gather of parts I need to finish the re-build on my Flathead, And would like to know what type or style of clutch bar is used in a K member-ed Model AV8. I was told there is a couple of different ends to the clutch bar but would like see what's most favored.

2. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

It depends on a few things. The type of pedals used and where they are installed. The 32 pedals bolt into the k-member and will align with a 32 arm on the clutch release shaft (it has a slight dog leg). The later straight up and down ones would likely be offset from the clutch pedal arm and adjustment would be necessary. If you use 39 pedals, the pedals could be set to align but won't work near as well with the k-member as the 32 pedals will. Some use 48 to 50 F1 pick up crossmembers & various different pedals.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Two basic styles of clutch cross shafts in early V8 transmissions...late ones, most 1940 and later transmissions, just has a flat tab on the end to engage a shaft running over to the frame rail. Allows adaptation of 1940 and later pedals with clutch arm on pedals way over at left.
    Earlier style had a vertiacl lever right at transmission to take a clevis ended link from pre-1940 pedal types. There are several different specific levers, with the '32 one naturally being rare and expensive.

4. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Thanks! Should have added that I got a real nice k member hand made by a hamber some time back, fits real snug in the A frame. Came with a '32 pedal bracket and M/C mount.
    So by the sounds of things I'm looking for one with a vertical lever to take the clevis ended link, I got that but what about the length, and is it just straight up and down or has a slight bend? Also if someone has a pic of this app that would help lots.

5. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Free play in the clutch pedal should be maintained at from 1 in. to 1 1/2 in. To check the amount of free play, depress the clutch pedal by hand and measure the distance the pedal pad moves before the beginning of clutch disengagement is felt. The adjustment is made by removing the clevis pin and turning the clevis to obtain the desired adjustment.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Here's a pic of the '32 clutch arm next to the pedals...

[​IMG]

7. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Nice looks like the clutch arm is about 5 in. long and about 1 1/2 in. offset from center. Thanks

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That arm comes in several different shapes and curves, with all having the two holes in about the same relationship. There are between 3 and 5 Deuce variants, maybe more, and maybe some more from BB trucks up to '34, so don't worry about variations, but you do need the length.

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The one I posted there is from a '32 BB hogshead. Works perfectly with stock deuce pedals and '39 trans.

10. GOONZ

GOONZ

[​IMG]

If this picture works, this is the arm that M.E.C. sells. I used it in my A/V8 with a K Member and it works great. The arm sells for $42.00, the phone number is (330) 644-3450

11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Wow ive never seen a peddel assembly that rusted before-

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You locate yourself by that statement! I knew you were from the west coast before I even looked at your location.;)

That's nothing, trust me... I cleaned them up, rebushed them, patched the bracket a bit where it was thin and they're working just fine under my roadster.

13. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I had a fealing that was the case. I get all spoiled out here in the non corrosive climate. I was going to ask you if thats the kind of stuff yall back there have to deal with. My Dad hauls home T stuff that rusty and I give him shit all the time about it, he will bead blast them and re bush them (or what ever) and after paint they dont look half bad.