Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Info needed: 1963 Borg Warner T10 4-speed for F85 Olds/Buick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamed34, Sep 25, 2017.

1. flamed34

flamed34

Question
    I picked up a a T10 4 speed Saturday for my 60 Impala to complete the driveline back to original (348/trim power/4 speed). The trans is a December 1962 build but I'm not worried about date correct. It's in great condition.
    However, as I've researched it, I've realized (or believe) this is a rare F85 olds (and Buick?) trans.
    Case is cast iron T10-1b. Tailshaft is aluminum T10-7b. It has a 10 spline input, and the telltale sign for the above - a 23 spline output with a bolted on yoke. It has two sets of trans mounts, and all 5 holes are threaded for the shifter.
    #1 - am I correct in my belief it's for the F85 or Buick?
    #2 - any idea in value? Would I be better off selling for someone's restoration and picking up another? If it's as rare as it appears, I almost feel like it should end up where it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. rails32

rails32

contact Ed Hartnet 4 Speeds 610-623-9381 e-mail EH4SPEEDS@AOL>COM

flamed34 likes this.
  3. PackardV8

PackardV8

The guy restoring an F85 or Buick Special would praise your name for selling him that tranny.

However, the 4-speed cars were very, very rare and finding the guy who would pay what another similar '60 B-W would cost might not come along in this lifetime.

jack vines

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Run it tell you find a buyer and a replacement.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Seems to me, all the "early", Chevrolet application T-10's, had the Chevrolet bow-tie cast on the passenger side of the main case. Is there a bow-tie? If there is, so much for the "rare F/85 or Buick" application. The multiple trans mount bosses says 60's Pontiac to me. Keep us posted on what you find out. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. flamed34

flamed34

There's no bowtie. Did Pontiac have a 23 spline application? Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of info out there on spline/application on these T10s.

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Might also look into FabCraftMetalWorks.Com; besides the Olds/Pont rear ends of the 57-64 years, he also dabbles in some other Pontiac related powertrain parts; mounts, brackets, clutch linkage, etc.. Some of the T-10's used by Pontiac also had longer length output shafts and extension housings. They also had the multi mount feature (alrerady mentioned), and some used an unusual bolt-on mount at the output shaft bushing area. E-Bay may have some of what you're looking for; it can be good as research material with older parts. Some of this I'm only going on memory, and may not be completely accurate; especially since I'm not a Pontiac guy. Are you certain it's a 23 spline output, or is it 27? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why is it rare? There were thousands made. Perhaps "seldom seen" is correct for this trans.

10. 327Eric

327Eric

Parts is parts. To one or two guys it may be gold, but not for a high dollar car, so not going to bring much. Run it.

11. flamed34

flamed34

It's a 23 spline output.
    What makes it rare is there were less than 500 (and by some estimates as low as only 200) F85 Olds Cutlass and Buick Specials produced with a 4-speed in 1963.
    To the restorer, the combination of the correct cast case, date, and code, the correct aluminum tailshaft, date, and code, and the aluminum side cover and date...coupled with the bolt on yoke and 23 spline output and gear ratio makes this a treasure trove for someone with such a limited production car.
    Of course to the original question - since there isn't a lot of these cars, the documentation of the combination is limited to a few threads I've located on the internet and the offering of a 23-spline output shaft by a transmission rebuilder speaking of "rarity".
    Personally, I could care less - there are only a few cars that I would endeavor to make "numbers matching". But I also consider the preservation of rarity. I can use any T10 close ratio for my needs.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My high school pals younger brother had one, quite the little package.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like its for sale.:)

14. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I think i have this same type of trans, but mine says its a 63. What did you ever find out about it? im about to put mine up for sale and want a fair idea on it..

15. carbizguy

carbizguy

Im looking for one

16. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I have one under my work bench. It's not been in a car since around1999. I would trade for a Muncie or ?

carbizguy likes this.
  17. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I ended up selling mine

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have one also although I think it's a 65, at least thats what it came out of 65 Cutlass.

Pat

19. flamed34

flamed34

I ended up finding a new old main shaft that will allow me to run the slip yoke

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app