Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage INDY 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COCONUTS, May 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

To be historically correct, one of the first rear engine cars at the speedway was the Gulf Millers from 1938 and the 1949 Rounds Rocket was rear engine. I am sure there may have been a few more but these come to mind.[/QUOTE]

I have a strong feeling you knew where I was coming from with my comment
    but knock yourself out with the correction. Deucemac, on the other hand, got
    me dead to right. With my comment I had only taken the '63 second place Lotus
    of Jim Clarke into consideration even though I knew of Brabbham's Cooper. I
    admit to not being a student of the 500. Real sanctioned, competitive,
    professional series' will never revert no matter what type of racing it is.

Deuces, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  2. myergin

myergin

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll watch the race, always have, but if you offered be $1,000 to name six current drivers from memory I couldn't. To me the Golden Years of INDY were 1919 - 1941. Good luck to everyone. Bob

4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Technology keeps advancing....It happened with drag racing to...The cars to today at 200mph+ are safer and built with better material than any of the old front engine cars were...The average stock street car has better suspension than those old front motor cars had....Progress is something that just continues...

chryslerfan55, 210superair and Deuces like this.
  5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Indy Car racing is a bit of an acquired taste. They race on ovals, natural terrain road courses, and city street courses. They have hard and soft tires and have to use both in a race (not ovals). The cars are highly adjustable mechanically, and aerodynamically. Open wheels are inherently dangerous so passing has to be planned and set up carefully, but there is still a little bit of the chrome horn. I really enjoy it, but I'm more of a technical guy. I am more interested in how the cars go fast, than how fast they go.

6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Well as all of you know that in the past there have been rear engine cars, four wheel drive cars, and even diesel power cars. When someone says, "Indy Cars" I think, first, of the front engine race cars. History is always in the past.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

American Idol, The Bachler, America's Got Talent, The Bachlerette, The Voice, etc. Just to name a few more and that I know where you are coming from....

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A number of years ago down at the Portland Swap meet, on a table was this cool little spiral bound promotional book of Indy cars, I bought it for $1.00. I love the older front engine cars as well, but time marches on. Here is a little taste of whats inside of the book, if you all ever see one of these, its a good little book that is very informative. The Jimmy Clark Lotus, was the only rear engine Indy car that really caught my eye.

indy book 1 (2).jpg indy book 2 (3).jpg indy book 3 (2).jpg IMG_2555 (2).jpg IMG_2556 (2).jpg ray haroun 1911 (2).jpg ray haroun 1911 (3).jpg jimmy clark.jpg A J Foyt.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  9. Deuces

Deuces

I don't watch none of that crap!....:rolleyes:

impala4speed and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. P4070118.JPG P4070114.JPG
    I was able to visit the Museum at Indy several years ago. It was great to be able to see all of these classics.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  11. I remember seeing the 75th ann. book. I went to the museum in 2009. I didn't have near enough time that day to do everything. I took a mess of pics and then had to get back on the road. Flying in that day, the plane circled over IRP, the oval track and Indy speedway. It was a clear sky and wonderful to view. :)

chryslerfan55, Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Me either, can't stand that crap.

Deuces likes this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's called "pick your battles"...and it keeps her quiet for a couple of hours;). It's also the perfect time to hit the garage for a beer and a cigar:D

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They all, like NASCAR, and many other sanctioning body just cookie cutter cars to me. Watching a little qualifying today seeing a car drive 4 laps with it wide open and never lifting seems boring. I know it’s different in the race but I went back to watching the PGA Open where the “old” guy is leading.

I’m thankful for MAV TV so I can watch winged sprints, non wing sprints, late models and IMCA modifieds on dirt and pavement tracks all over the country. Same rules but different interpretations and driving skills for sure.

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I would be up for the supers on Indy? Smaller tires, No wing?

Deuces likes this.
  16. garage2small

garage2small

Who remembers the great ads in magazines like The Saturday Evening Post, and Life that Firestone would run every May before the 500? They would show the winning car and driver for every previous year. Also remember spending Memorial Day afternoon listening to the race every year on the radio before it was shown on TV. s-l640.jpg

17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Ahhh, I dunno... If we're going retro front engine, I'm thinking Miller 90cid, both front n rear wheel drive circa late 20's->early 30's or Junk Formula w/straight-8s circa mid 30's; side-engine stuff like Smokeys' little jewel circa '64 or STP turbine circa '68; rear engine like the Shrike. If was different, it was interesting. Suspensions, engine, car-layout, construction are what made them so interesting. & of course, some of the personalities... :D . Never thought too much of the "roadsters", not that they weren't hot stuff, just my preference(s).
    Marcus...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. I will be watching, I agree Indy is not what it once was but it's still Indy the greatest single sporting event in the world!

2021 marks the 70th anniversary of Altamont NY native Lee Wallard's win!

upload_2021-5-24_20-33-26.png

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Deuces, 41 GMC K-18, The37Kid and 2 others like this.