Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Industrial Chassis Xmember legs ELpolacko

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gearheadbill, Nov 25, 2013.

1. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I recently purchased a project that has a very roughed together 32 frame using Industrial Chassis' rear K-member legs. My question is: There is about 5/16-3/8" of air gap between the top of the rear legs and the K-member. Somehow that doesn't seem correct to me but what do I know?

ELpolacko to the white courtesy phone please.

The stock 32 K-member obviously needs some repair in the middle. That's not what this is about. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I assume you mean what is in this picture. I't looks like someone just beat this flange up for clearance, I would think iy would have been cleaner to cut out the offending material for clearance instead. I suppose you could leave it and it would be fine, but....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Have you tried calling him? He's usually pretty responsive to customers ......

4. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

It looks like your crossmember has been "clearanced" by a big wrench or hammer.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

In his introduction to this product he stated that gentle persuasion with a cresent wrench would provide the clearance necessary to line up the bolt holes at the front of the leg. I think here we have "ham-fisted" substituted for "gentle persuasion".:eek::rolleyes::D

Frank

6. The legs don't butt up against the top of the stock K. They are close but don't need to touch.

Sorry I don't have better pictures for you.

[​IMG]

This one you can see they don't fit all the way up in the crossmember.

[​IMG]

Since your K is pretty hacked on, you can slot the holes a bit and raise the front if you desire so.

7. uncle buck

uncle buck

Yes Don , they have since spoken - and yes he is very responsive. He even picked up this thread quickly to help!

8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I'm using the legs meant for the stock floor and they fit great. Once installed and bolted down tight, they really stiffen up the frame. There are a few pics in my build thread. If more are needed I can take more.

9. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Thank you Steve. I will proceed accordingly. By the way, is the bolt-on rear radius rod piece available from you? If yes, I'll PM you.

Thanks for the good news about the stiffening. Much appreciated.

I don't think anyone in recent history has been ham-fisted with any part of this project. The heat wrenching etc, appears to be from at least another decade.

The K-member will get reworked as part of the build. I was asking about the space in my second picture between the K-member and the new legs. There will be an air gap no matter the lip of the K-member looks like. ELpolacko answered it quite nicely. Thanks.
    P.S. You might want to make your pic posts smaller...sorta like the rest of us do. The big pics are annoying and break up the flow of the thread. Nothing personal. Just irritating.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The whole end of it doesn't really need to fit flush to the crossmember when it is bolted in if the areas that the bolts go through fit flush. You might want a tighter fit if you were welding it but the way it fits now when it is bolted up doesn't look like a problem. From the looks of things that crossmember has suffered from more than one visit with the hot wrench and the BFH over the past 79 years.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I helped a friend try his new legs from El Polacko in a good and carefully straightened frame--the legs actually SNAPPED into place like a part for a plastic model, going right where they should and in EXACT registration with the original holes they attach to!