Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indoor drag racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tripple G, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Tripple G

Tripple G

A friend of mine sent me an email the other day with an attachment of photographs showing Indoor Drag Racing. It was held at Chicago's International Amphitheater in 1963 & 1964. All that was in the email were the photographs. I'm wondering if anyone has any additional information on this? Also, has this ever been done anywhere else that anyone knows of? It sure looks dangerous!:eek:

2. 1oldracer

1oldracer

It was, there were large pillars that held the roof up. The reason they stopped racing there, someone lost control and crashed into one of the pillars. I was there for a few of the races, but not the onewhen the crash happened. No I don't have any pictures, sorry

3. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

In the 60's(?) they tried stadium drag racing with a disastrous result at the Colosseum in Los Angeles. Anyone recall the incident?

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

I sort of remember the Colosseum attempt. Did they have cables attached to the cars and the cables attached to some sort of hydraulic cylinders to stop the cars? CRS sucks!

6. Tripple G

Tripple G

Hey Lance-Speed, Thanks for the advice. You were absolutely right on the money. The HAMB Search had the information I was looking for. Here are the pictures my friend sent in his email. Same ones previously posted by others, but here they are again, just to show those who hadn't seem them before. Thanks again!

Attached Files: