Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Indian Motorcycle Horn and model A hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Par34, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Par34

Par34

Building a 31 Model A hot rod and I've been told guys use vintage Indian chief motorcycle horns mounted in the fire wall . Any pictures or info on this, also the vintage stuff was 6 volt any conversion to 12v to make in functional? Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

• 20a.jpg
      20a.jpg
      File size:
      152.4 KB
      Views:
  2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Unless you are stuck on the Indian horn, why don't you run a Bosch pancake horn that's 12 volts?

3. The horn will work 12V it doesn't care. You will have to use a 12v horn relay though.

Guys don't use Vintage Indian horns they used them when they were not vintage. you won't see many of them in use these days Indian parts rank right up there with deuces. :(

4. alchemy

alchemy

Find an old pancake Klaxon horn at a swap meet, not some $$$ Indian. Usually about 10-15 bucks. And the 6 volt horn will really wake up on 12 volts.

. Bengine2.jpg

CTAV8 and -Brent- like this.

5. I was at a swap a year ago and a guy had a pile of Indian parts (no horn) he wanted 800.00 for a rusted beat scout fender (minus the irons) and got it. Sold out his crap in less then 20 minutes and everything was priced like it was gold.

6. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I had a basket case Chief about forty years ago...whittlin' away on it, buyin' parts from "Indian Joe" in Springfield- I was out of work at the time and got an offer from a friend that I took.

Right up there with my "Top Ten worst decisions ever".

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

[​IMG]

That's a really neat looking horn.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  8. Par34

Par34

Thanks for the input.
    My neighbor has a collection of one of every Indian made from 1901-1953, with the exception of the first year (I think they only made three in 1901)

His parts collection fills a small warehouse, it's not small by any means. So getting a decent Indian horn is not a problem.

9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

No, that's a neat looking engine compartment in general.

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. As Beeno said,the old Indian and Harley motorcycle horns are worth more than Gold. HRP

11. Par34

Par34

Maybe I'll grab one from my neighbor and sell it to finance the build! Ha Ha!

12. Finding a horn is possible. Finding a horn cheap is another story. There are several repro horns out there. There is a good chance you can get a 12 volt horn due to the popularity of the 12 volt generator conversion. Stark; kewe;jerry greer are all indian sources. I never run 12 volt on any of my indians so im not 100% sure which supplier has one. but do a search and you will find these guys.