Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indian bike at VLV pics and info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alfster, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Alfster

Alfster

Does anyone have any more pics or info on this Bert Munro Special from VLV...?

Attached Files:

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yeah, look at A32Flatheads post above, a million pics.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

4. Alfster

Alfster

Thanks for the quick replys.

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

a kiwi asking us about Burt Munro's bike, go figure!:p

6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

If you need more info let me know.

7. bobw

bobw

I watched the DVD last night. Very inspirational. Best movie I've seen in a long time.

8. Muttley

Muttley

Does anyone know how to get in touch with that guy? I'd love to have one of those T-shirts.

9. Firefly

Firefly

No, sorry, but I think I still have a couple of the promo fliers for the WFI movie if you would like one of them. PM me your addy :)

10. Muttley

Muttley

Sweet!!! PM on the way. :cool: :cool:

11. 97

What do you want to know about it Ian??
    It is the bike which Bert left at Sammy Pierce's the last time he went to the US, Sam bought it from Bert and sold it again to Gordy Clark, Doug Clark ( Gordy's son I think) then sold it to Dean Hensley who had it restored by Steve Huntzinger in about 1985-86.

They restored it with only half of the shell so it could be displayed and appreciated .

It was part of the Dean Hensley collection until Dean died suddenly in 1992 , since than the Hensley family has kept it and most of the rest of the collection .

The Hensley bike has Bert's spare motor , the original motor (20R 628) is in Invercargil in the original (modified) 1920 frame with Indian prince front end .

You can buy shirts and stuff from the Hensleys , and the bike will be on display at the NHRA museum this US summer.

12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I saw it at Hershey in the early 90s and at Bonneville. A fellow in a wheel chair owned it at Hershey, was that Hensley?. It is an amazing piece of work when you think of what Munro built it out of.

13. 97

Yep Dean Hensley was in a wheelchair. A well known Californian artist, he painted the signs etc on the fairing, and did the artwork for the T shirts etc which the Hensley family sells to enthusiasts at events and by mail.
    Bert Munro bought the bike new in 1920. He rode it for a few years and sold it when he went to Australia , when he returned , about 1928 he found the bike and bought it back. The streamliner wasn't "built as such, like all good hot rods the bike evolved over time going faster and faster over the years, and it was only at the very end of his development that a series of fairings were built.
    He built the second frame so that he could save the shipping costs , and from then on only took the motor and box to the US and back each year. In between times he tested and raced the unfaired frame at New Zealand events, along with his other bike a Velocette which was just as modified as the Indian.

14. Here are some shots I took last year, some are a little fuzzy but I thought you might like to see them anyway.

CBB

Attached Files:

15. A couple more,

CBB

Attached Files:

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That thing is just the koolest and i love watching that movie....Inspirational to say the least and to think of some of the things we take for granted was a dream for him...

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That movie still makes cry.

18. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I don't know a shitload about motorcycles and don't know many motorcycle enthusiasts but am proud to know and call the Hensley family my friends. Tom hensley is a person who is very frustrated with the media and people who take advantage of others. He feels that one should do a little homework when doing a bio on a subject, and not change the truth. This in no way means that i am referring to the WFI movie, just other projects out there.
    The bike will only be on display at "certain" venues where the Hensley family feels it will not only do justice but where people will sincerely appreciate the bike.
    So many people asked Tom what the bike was worth and he quickly but kindly responded by saying "Its priceless".

There are a lot of people who question this bikes authenticity and when that happens the old photo books come out. These photo's are over 25 years old and don't lie.

Alex

19. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Heres some pics from the 2005 Extreme Rides show held in Christchurch. I believe this one is one of two replicas made for the movie. By the way anyone like to enlighten me on the tiny bit of footage of Roger Donaldson's(director WFI) latest project film I caught on tv tonight-it showed a 46 Ford on a beach and I think they said it was being filmed in the USA.

Attached Files: