Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

For the record, I can MIG a nice weld but it's not show quality. I do know a guy, CMX something or other, that does really, really nice stuff.[/quote]

I know the same guy, Matt at CMX Industries has laid down some of the best MIG beads I have seen, and makes it look easy,....I hate him :)

2. Surfing and welding are the 2 things I always wanted to learn how to do... someday I will hopefully.

3. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Nice. I'm the same way!

I always wanted to surf too! Then I got in the water....the waves look a lot bigger when you're out there:) I suck.

I found these on my computer. I'm pretty proud of the root pass especially, considering I don't do much stick welding. This is a 6g pipe, meaning you mount it at about a 45* angle and leave it unmoved until you are done. It's an "all position" test. I used 6010 on the root and 7018 out.

Root(backside of weld):
    [​IMG]
    Cover:
    [​IMG]

-Josh

4. dawg

dawg

My crappy welder after Hurricane Ike, guess it got a little wet, you can't soft stop it enough to eliminate the pit. I guess it needs to go to the shop?...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. I took A class at the local community college there was A sign above the instructors door. Three things important to be a good welder. Practice,Practice,Practice

6. I used to be a lot better when I welded all the time, but the reality is as I have gotten older my eye sight has gotten so bad that I have to wear reading glasses AND a magnifier in the helmet to get anything decent anymore at all. Getting old sucks! But it beats the alternative.[​IMG]

7. suicidal-element

suicidal-element
    from Auburn, CA

8. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I think someone had some pics of a copper bike fender on here?

I've done a very little bit of copper. I used bare electrical wire, but I guess you're supposed to use de-oxidized copper wire or a strip of the base metal. It takes a lot of amps too. I've done some stainless plate to copper tubing with silicon bronze, that works pretty good! You've got to really be carefull with the heat though, it wants to crack when it gets too hot.

-Josh

9. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Ohhhhh your sooo flattering, but remember what welds

10. Mart

Mart

I remember Harlan used to do some nice welds, but he got kicked off the hamb.. ( I think).
    It would be useful if people could state the material and type and make of welder and maybe even the settings used.
    I can gas weld, stick weld and mig (who can't?) but I never tried tig.
    I am in ethe middle of revamping my welder (130A cebora poket mig) with new big gas bottle, new tips and shroud. I hope to get some better results than I have been getting recently. I now have to wear my reading glasses especially to gas weld.
    Mart.

11. Regal Beagle

Regal Beagle
    from So. Cal.

some more from Jimmy at Circle City...he taught me how to tig weld, and I am forever grateful...some day mine will look this good
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great post! Three of the most qualified welders I have not seen posted yet, so I will,
    One is Jim Jacobs, man can lay a bead that is just too pretty to grind, Look @ alot of early P&J stuff, Same deal for P-Wood. Those beads are what make the cars that they work on! Lastly, Bill Vent It Vinther. If one has ever been over to his shop, It is a clean as a Dr.s office. The work that he does is just sweet! I know that they are local talent here, but I grew up watching these guys lay beads and feel fortunate that I was there to experience it.
    My welding, is just good enough 4 me. Maybe someday I'll get better with much practice.

13. Graham08

Graham08

Wow! There is some awesome talent in this thread.

Here are a couple of tube clusters I TIG welded in a supermodified chassis. Material is 4130 tube, wall thickness varies between 0.065" and 0.095". I was using ER80S-D2 for filler.

Attached Files:

14. dawg

dawg

not bad for some store bought quickies...

[​IMG]

15. Cshabang

Cshabang

Once I picked up a tig, I hate Mig welding..unfortunately, I got nothing here that shows my beads....

16. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Definitely some sweet work on here guys!

I'm not sure if it's obvious or not, but I really love welding:D I had some time at work tonight so I messed around with a few different techniques on some scrap pieces, it's cool to see the variety of ways guys lay a bead!

First I tried like Welder Series does, unfortunately I have a serious lack of rhythm!
    These 3 were done by pulsing the pedal and dipping the filler...not the best ever, but I could pry get used to it....eventually:)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This one was done by dipping the rod and pausing the torch, but keeping the heat pretty consistent. It turned out pretty nice.
    [​IMG]

I usually prefer to lay the wire and walk the cup, and that's what was done here:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Those last two are older pics...and yes, the pictures suck.

This last one I did by walking the cup, laying the wire(but moving it up and down by the torch), and pulsing. I set the pulse so it hit at the top and bottom of the weave. Not something I usually do, but it turned out pretty cool:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Everything but the two older pics were done with a water cooled miller synchrowave 350. The two crappy pics were done whe I was trying out my Dynasty 200dx for the first time.

-Josh

17. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

My intake but not my welds...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  18. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

Jdustu I have always liked the walking the cup technique. I haven't done it much, and I'm not that great at it.

Heres one from today.
    [​IMG]

19. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Nice work!

You know there is one solution for that:)

20. Conder

Conder

Yep. I'd like to see you all pinstripe. My guess is you'd be reeeeeal good at it! Some of the same principals right? Rhythm, control, speed...NICE WORK.

21. waynejell

waynejell
    from USA

Typical Ratrod work...:):):):):)

Dlracer likes this.
  22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

There sure is some fantastic weld pics been posted here, I guess i will join in, Here's a stainless chassis i'm building for a 26T Coupe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

That's beautiful Langy! Nice work!

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, I wish i could do it all the time LOL
    We have quite a few top class welders in the U.K.

25. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

I saw your thread on that. Very impressive.

I brought my camera to work today to take pictures of these arms I'm building, just for this thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

You Guys are some Trick Shit Welders. And I used to think I could weld. I'm going out back now and throw rocks in my exhaust fan for awhile.:(

27. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Most of my work is in aluminum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paco

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

There's welds here that should be in an Art gallery.

29. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

30. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Thowing rocks isn't going to help you get better:D Sometimes I curse at the metal until it does what I want though, that seems to help...

Paco, SWEET work man!