Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical In need of 1952 Desoto Hemi intake torque sequence

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rabid Whippet, Jul 24, 2015.

1. I have spent the last 2 hours looking for the intake torque sequence online. I wouldn't have thought it would be so difficult to find it. Anyone have a torque sequence. I had the Desoto book with the info in it but my Wife has mixed it up with other books I'm sure as It was beside my bed an she always packs the books away when the get too high LOL!!. Thanks in advance.

2. I don't have it, but you almost can't go wrong by starting with the inner 2, then the next inner two, etc, etc... High torque numbers and/or long items (like manifolds) I'll start at 1/2 value, do again at 75%, once more at full. I've never had issues by doing this.

302GMC likes this.
  3. My Motors Auto Repair Manual has it as follows........starting on the centre two as 1,2 then 3,4 then back to 5,6 then to the back two as 7,8 then to the last two at the front, 9,10....torque to 80-85 ft lbs...hope this helps......andyd

4. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

5. czuch az

czuch az

80 lbs sounds kinda tight for an intake.
    I believe ya, just,,,,,,wow.

6. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Absolutely way too much torque for manifolds for this engine.
    Andy that seems very tight, will post the correct torque spec in a bit......

7. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Should be torqued to 25-30, not over 32 foot pounds........

8. squirrel

squirrel

20 ft lbs per an old Plymouth shop manual. No order given, just "tighten alternately"

9. I did the torque sequence at 30 lbs from inner criss cross to outer. 30 lbs is what I read but no info on the sequence. 80 lbs are for head head bolts.
    It was 12:39AM in the morning when I posted and at 6AM I torqued them up this way without checking back. Thanks again anyway. It was a whirlwind trying to get all the hydraulic lifters replaced with solids as there were a few that wouldn't keep pumped up when driving for about 15 minutes. They would progressively get worse till they started hammering. I replaced the offending lifters with new ones but to no avail. Then swapped the ones next to the leaking ones and they didn't pump up. So the easiest way to cure it was install Howards extreme solid lifters. By 8 AM we fired the engine up and broke in the new lifters. Now everything is nice and quiet but it started pouring rain on Friday and early Saturday so the Willys Whippet ended up staying parked and the rainy day driver 1936 Ford 5 window coupe came out for the hour drive in drizzle. Again thanks for the replies.

10. Whippet and others.......my profuse apologies, those specs are for the cylinder head!!!.........SHIT!!!!......it IS 30ft lbs for the intake manifold..........shit!..........went and rechecked what I had written down and then saw I'd taken the head specs......I hope I haven't screwed anyone around with this.......will be much more careful now.........again, my apologies as I really understand what could have happened using my incorrect advice.............Andy Douglas

czuch az likes this.
  11. I think we all knew the torque was way high. Usually it is based on the size of bolts and grade. The intake bolts couldn't tolerate 80 lbs without most likely snapping. Anyway, its all good. I believe others questioned the ft lbs and when I read it I knew it was head bolt specs.