Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In Memory of Tom Willford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phred426, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Phred426

Phred426

Hello all;

Here is a video that my friend Kenny Kudo took at Woodburn Drag Strip in Oregon of the AA/GS altered's including Tom in what I think was his first year of running his truck. Kenny did a "GREAT" job of videoing the day. I'll be posting a video that I took while crewing on Kent Keller's AA/GS 1933 Willy's soon in which we raced Tom in Woodburn. Tom does a great burnout in that video!

I was lucky enough to have met Tom in 1975 at Voc-Tech school in Tacoma before his helicopter accident. Nothing changed Tom. Not the war, the accident, money, etc. Tom was exactly the same person before his accident as he was afterwards. I was very lucky to have known Tom all those years and I'm so glad that Kenny filmed so much of Tom this day.

Regards; Fred Cline

Enjoy Kenny's video...........R.I.P. Tom!!!!!

Pist-n-Broke and harpo1313 like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. I met Tom Willford in 1968 at the Pomona swap meet. We became friends, and Tom made a few trips back east to Connecticut. He bought a nice 1933 Willys coupe from a friend of mine, and we helped him load all the parts even though he didn't want our help. After Tom's second helicopter accident he always said that he wasn't handicapped, but he just couldn't walk. It was tough keeping up with Tom in his wheelchair in Pomona, as he was always on the prowl for more goodies. I am proud and thankful to have known Tom. R.I. P.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Fred, Thank You for putting this on YouTube, and also to Kenny Kudo for the priceless footage of our old pal Tom, anyone who ever met him, felt their lives were richer for it ! The picture below was taken the day before, when Tom rented the Woodburn Dragstrip, along with Jim Epler, who would go on to fame in Funny Cars. It was Tom's first time in the seat of the truck, after I had raced it at the Nostalgia Nationals at Fremont, a month earlier. I am doing the pushing, right behind me is the late Jerry Hill, noted race car builder from here in Oregon, along with Rick Apple, who helped out on the restoration. Kenny's camera work is especially good with the closeups of Tom, and showing the hand controls that made it possible for him to handle the truck, and the smile he always had on his face. I only wish that Tom would have been to the last CHHR, to have seen the truck looking so good, and performing so well after 30 years ! 2012-08-29 123243.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  6. Outstanding!! and your right "Nothing changed Tom. Not the war, the accident, money," He was a grate friend along with several of the others in the Video. Those were the days no doubt. Grate times fond memories. Your timing is unbelievable. I just had lunch Friday with Earl Floyd and dinner with Wayne Harry. I don't see Jack Coonrod often enough. Grate film and grate Friends for sure. Those were the Days!
    The Wizzard

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made him a heck of a deal on an old Hydro-Stick I had, FREE; did't know who I was talking to on the phone, he just said his name was Tom. When he showed up in his rusty blue and white Chevrolet dually, and then got into his wheelchair, with the Adam's (Gasser Wars Magazine) there to help, I knew instantly who he was. It was only a year or two later I read of his illness, and later passing, here on the HAMB. Life's not fair, and he had more than his share of that, but I was amazed at how it had't gotten him down. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Sure miss Tom's phone calls ! He was one of a kind !!..... miss lining up beside him too !!!... Chris

9. 73RR

73RR

Sad for sure. Tom was always ready for some conversation and bench racing.

10. verde742

verde742
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I met Tom when he was building his own home, with ropes, pulleys, boards AND GUTS...

WHATA MAN !!!!!