Register now to get rid of these ads!

In CA, bought a car with no license plate and without title...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lincolnlver, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Lincolnlver

Lincolnlver

I bought my 1948 Desoto off a CC member of another chapter back in Feburary. But it did not come with a license plate or title. But it did come with a pile of paperwork with a non-op permit back in 2005 in some random guys name. All I need is to let "THE MAN" know that it belongs to me. So whats my first step? So Is there a title company that I can go through? Just caught up legality nonsense. thanx...

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The non-op papers should mean that there is a title for the car on record with the state. Getting it in your name might be interesting though but it's still better than no record of a title to the car.

I'd take siddmatt's suggestion and go to the place he recommended as they should have the ability and want to to track things down for you.

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

X2. Biggest worry would be a lien or claim on the vehicle.

5. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

As the others stated, you will have to file lost title paperwork with the DMV and have the VIN verified. The lost title paperwork will have to be signed by the person you bought the car from, as well as by yourself. You can get the forms at the DMV. For VIN verification, the DMV can do this, if you haul the car to them, or if you know a CHP officer, they might be able to do this. There are other people who are certified to be able to do this. I was able to find a lady at my local AAA office who did it. The car must have 2 spots on the car where the VIN is visible, and they must match. The people at the DMV are tuned in for cars newer than 68, where the VIN is riveted to the dash. Obviously your car won't have that. If the car has the original engine, it might be stamped on the block somewhere. It should be somewhere on the frame, and there might be a plate riveted to the firewall or door jam. I'm not the guy to ask about those details. I went through this with a 61 Falcon a few years back that I bought that had no title and no engine. I was able to find the VIN stamped on the unibody and on a plate attached to the door. The VIN verification lady gave me a little grief about the tag being on the door, and the door being a removable/replaceable part, but she caved and gave it to me because the numbers there matched the numbers on the frame. I have friends who use an independent lady who is willing to get a little more creative.

The paperword and process is relatively easy to deal with, by DMV standards. And relatively cheap too. If you can source a pair of 48 YOM plates, now would be the time to register them to the car, if you want to go that route. Save a few bucks versus them issuing new plates if you want to go YOM in the future.

6. XXL__

XXL__

This general issue seems to generate a lot of threads. While it is unlikely I would ever buy a car that doesn't come with all required paperwork, what I think I've learned from these threads is ALWAYS USE A SERVICE to handle this. The minute you try to DIY it with the DMV, you're "in the system," and you can't get a do-over. Hire a professional to handle this.

pat59 likes this.
  7. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Definitely

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

Some years ago, in California, I bought a motorcycle without a title. In fact the guy I bought it from didn't even own it. He took it in lieu of some money he was owed and never bothered to register it in his name. The license plate tags expired in 1986.

Armed with only a bill of sale I went to the DMV to start the process. Turned out to be pretty simple. The DMV referred me to the CHP to run the numbers. I had to make an appointment with the CHP. A wait of a couple of weeks. No biggie. They ran the numbers and they were clean. The cop told me to go down to the DMV and collect my new plate. I asked if there was any paperwork to bring to the DMV. "Nope, they already have the information". Back down to the DMV. Hand over $39. Get new plates and tags and I was out of there.

If the car is still on non-op there will be no back fees. A lost pink can be replaced. The DMV have processes in place for all these sort of problems. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Go to the DMV with your paperwork and tell them what you have and what to do from there. All you have to remember is the DMV like their forms forms filled out and like you to cross the Ts and dot the Is.

But I think in this day and age its easier to close your eyes, hand over a wad of cash and let someone do what you can esily do yourself.

jetnow1 likes this.
  9. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

the problem you have is that someone once had the car registered and on non op. if that person did not keep the payments up on the non-op ($10-20) then there will be back fees, re-registration fees etc. (alot more $). on top of that you will need to file for lost registration, get the guy that the registration is assigned to to sign it over then transfer into your name. then after that you will need to get new plates etc. and pay for those too.

FYI. if you buy anything make sure the title is signed over to you from the owner on the title. Many people will buy a car and have OG onwer sign over and never resigister it in their name. it i will be ok as long as it has been over 10 years. if not, back fees will apply.

the two best situations are to have everything in order and current or nothing but a bill of sale. Sometimes people will have old paper work (ie registration) but no title. the dmv will look that info up and now it is on their database that someone inquired about this vin.

to be completely off the radar and apply forn new a new title and start from scratch, the car must be off the computer for 10 years. So i reccomend that old paperwork should be ignored and put away if trying to apply for new title.

Each case can be different depending on all of these factors. But everyones opinions above are appropriate. DO NOT DEAL WITH THE DMV or OFFICER of the LAW unless you have a good relation with them when registering or apply for new title. It is their job to make sure you follow the rules one by one and this take much time and money because someone did not keep the title or registrion in order.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing that a California based title service should be able to do is verify that the title is still in the name of the person who had the last non op on it. Or find out if the title has been put in someone else's name. If it's still listed as being in the no op owners name you could then send him a certified letter or as you have the address on the papers knock on his door and ask him/her to sign a release of interest or the paperwork for a lost title.

I don't know how California works but I transferred the title of a camper that I picked up by having the previous owner's widow meet me at the license office Friday. She had a copy of his death certificate and some proof that she was his widow. I had the old plate off the camper and the Id number off the camper. It took less than 15 minutes total and I was out the door with a new title, registration and plates and less cash then when I went in. That is in Washington with the license office I use on a regular basis though.

11. i think its od that in california the plates follow the car and not stay with the cars seller like they do in ohio

12. XXL__

XXL__

Both models are very common among the 50 states. Some consider the vehicle license plates to be a license for the vehicle (which actually makes more sense to me, since I carry a person license in my wallet).

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Everybodys a Lawyer! Dude, why whould you even buy a car with no title and plates? You need to call the DMW or CHP. By the way, I am not a Lawyer.

14. I remember hearing CA YOM plates have to stay with the car they're first registered to. Is that true or is it confusion caused from the plates follow the car versus the plates follow the owner?

In other words, can I keep my YOM plates if I sell my YOM-plated car, and register them on another car?

I hope that makes scents.

15. Because, in CA, getting a title is easy compared to states like PA and some others. I have bought 8 or 10 vehicles over the years with no papers or papers that were a complete mess. I think the most I ever paid to straighten one out and get a clear title was 200 bucks. I bought an MGB that was abandoned at a garage in CA by a person from Nevada. The garage began a lien sale, but quit. A friend bought it and restarted the paper work, then I bought it. It took me about 10 hours, total time going to the DMV and the CHP and about $150. As long as the vehicle isn't stolen, you can get title to just about anything in CA, if you know what you're doing and you deal with the right people. Cars that are out of the system are the best. They don't have to be out for 10 years. If they're out of the system, then how does the system know it's been 10 years?

16. XXL__

XXL__

17. EarlKann

EarlKann

There is no annual payment on a non-op. I have a non-op on a Toyota that I parted out 4-5 years ago. They send me a statement every year on the renewal date that says that no money is due and I have to do nothing until I want to return it to the road.

Otherwise all good info in the reply's. The only problem that I could see is that there is a record of title in someone else's name. The DMV may want that persons signature to release interest. I've also done where you have to send a registered letter, return receipt requested, to the last known owner. If it comes back and you can prove that you tried to contact them than you can proceed without a signature.

18. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

What is this "Non OP" you guys are talking about? This isn't something we have to deal with here in Va.

19. Monolith

Monolith

Also-if you have AAA you can ask for advice on how to proceed at your local office. They also often have certified vehicle verifiers in the branch that can give the paperwork an vin a look without getting you flagged in the DMV system. I retitled an OT '68 Charger that I'd lost the bill of sale on and registered a couple of mid 60's trucks with "jumped" titles and bills of sale only with no problems at all.
    Best of luck to you!

scotts52 likes this.
  20. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Instead of paying registration fees, you can claim that the car willl not be driven or used on public streets. Then you do not have to pay to register the car until you are ready to use it

21. Lincolnlver

Lincolnlver

Thats the insurance I have currently. I think I will talk to them tomorrow. I mean, they've helped me out in the past. Hopefully this will get over and done with... thanx for all the feedback!

22. XXL__

XXL__

It's a method of collecting fees on a car that many states miss out on because they only collect USE fees. In CA, you can't just NOT pay if you're not going to drive it. You have to PAY to not drive it... it's called PNOP, or Planned Non-Operational. If you don't pay the PNOP fee, the next time you register the car, you're going to get nailed for ALL back fees plus penalties (to the tune of MANY thousands of dollars if it's been a few years). Also, if you get cited for a traffic or parking violation on a vehicle with PNOP status, they nail you for the fess you were supposed to have paid, including back fees... because, presumably, you should have had it registered if was in the position of receiving a ticket.

23. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

non op is free.......just have to get off your butt and do it......lol

24. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I have been using AAA for many years. They take the hassle out of registering any car. You do have to be a member though.

25. XXL__

XXL__

The State of California would beg to differ--

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/vrir/faqpno.htm

and

26. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I have not been charged for the non op status for 3 years or more on 3 of my non op cars. I receive a reg every year that states you owe nothing but if you register the car go full op anytime during the next year you have to pay full fees, even if 11 months in.
    Maybe they charge the 18 the first time to go non op but thats it. Not like they are making a killing.......lol

27. XXL__

XXL__

I didn't make up the info and I didn't say the fees were exorbitant. The link I provided is to the State of California website, which clearly indicates they charge, which I posted in response to your post stating they don't. Getting accurate info on the web is problematic, so I wanted to make sure people didn't get bad info from your previous post.

28. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

As I wanted to accurately convey that fees if any are not much. I see on this forum people complain that they did not go non op and now they have to pay 100's of dollars. They should know that there is a low to no cost way to be legal.
    So now we are ALL clear

29. lewislynn

lewislynn

I have an old motorhome (parked off street, on my property at home) that had some smog issues. I decided to let everything expire untill I decided to correct the issues, if ever.

I let the registration expire because I knew it wouldn't pass smog and hence I also let the insurance expire. Like a fool I didn't pay a non-op. When I decided to fix it I renewed my insurance so I could get a temp permit to move it for a smog test. All of this is only over about 6 months time

The day my insurance policy showed up in the mail I also recieved a threatening letter from DMV demanding payment for the renewal fees or they would garnish my wages, file liens on my property and turn me over to collections from the Franchise Tax Board (Cal. IRS)...The vehicle never left my property.

All of that because I was too stupid/lazy to file a non-op.