Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features In A Shoebox...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. El Pratt

El Pratt

I haven't had much of a chance to check in lately. Moving and watching nearby fires has kept me away. First off I'm glad you are enjoying the car Ryan, I had a lot of fun with it and I know you will too. It couldn't have gone to a better home. The photos look great as well as the article. I always enjoy your writing. To answer a couple of questions, the wheel covers are 55/56 Buick with large accessory bullets and flipper blades off of 54 Olds caps. The ones on my old 51 Merc as well as El Jefe's are 56 Buick Roadmaster wheel covers. The front is lowered using dropped spindles and Aerostar coils. I replaced the coils just before selling it, they raised the front about 2" and I never got around to adjust the height. The rear end is a 8" with 4:11 gears.

2. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Nice car!!! Outside, I love the absence of door handles, the radiator mouth, fender skirts, and the car sitting on its laurels which is accentuated by the green paint along the rear. But the great part about this car is the dash. It looks like it belongs to a million dollar car. Just extremely well done and on of the nicest dashes I've ever seen. And love the column shifter.

3. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Congrats on the purchase man. What a way to wrap up 2017. I totally agree with you on the paint change about Lee not being afraid to change things up after such a legendary Car has been around. Not too many guys have to balls to do that shit twice. That body style would look great in a lot of colors I think. Hope to see this thing one day.

4. Congrads. Seems everyone will have a shoebox in there life at one time. Had 3 myself. Easy to build ,plentyful, and popular. Best bang for the buck.

5. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

"What are you doing with that car??"

I'm owning it........in fact, I'm owning the heck outta it!!!

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the kustom side. You have been blessed.

Sancho likes this.
  7. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Thats one of the most beautiful unchopped shoeboxes out there.
    About a hundred years ago (or so) I was visiting The Lead Sled Spectacular in Davenport, Iowa and I saw this Purple-ish GM custom parked outside my hotel. I was also introduced to the owner and we talked about a fairly radical, chopped mid sixties Buick LeSabre Custom he did some years before. Reason being my friend, wich I traveled With, had a similar 64/65 Riviera Custom at home that some people mixed up with his LeSabre custom-. I seem to remember his name was Lee Pratt. :)

8. Congratulations! Looks like a nice choice for a first custom.

9. mkebaird

mkebaird

I can see why you bought it, my favorite shoe box!

10. Beautiful 49 Custom Ryan, guys got to have rods and customs, something for every mood.

11. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sir are a lucky man! What a beautiful car!!!

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice Ryan.Enjoy.Drive the wheels off that beauty.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. Turk39

Turk39

image.jpeg I like them shoeboxes can you tell

14. belair

belair

Wonderful car. The third pic really shows the richness of the main color. Don't change it, just refine it.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must have been taking a nap on this one. Seeing those photos that paint job is growing on me after years of loving the earlier version.
    If a guy has to own a car with another gent's name firmly attached to it having and driving the "Lee Pratt" shoebox sits right at the top.
    Something to think about on the air shocks and compresser, Most rear wheel drive Cads from the 70's and 80's have a simple switch attached to the rear axle and frame or body that you adjust to set and control the ride height. Static, loaded or unloaded it stays the same if things are working right.