Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features In A Shoebox...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yes, yes, yes mass congrats are in order. This has long been one of my favorite mild customs. I didn't know it had the nailhead. I bet that's a great choice. I think you'll like the air shocks. I'm running them front and rear on my '53 Customline. The main reason is variable load conditions. Not necessarily traditional, but since I'm straight-out-of-Compton, I'm also adding a nifty little manifold, so I get front, back, side-to-side.

Outback likes this.
  2. Yep, if they could only take the beating you can give a 4-speed or more modern trans they would be the all-time perfect cruisin' trans...

Enjoy, that's a beautiful shoebox. Make it 'your car' and you'll be good to go!

3. great car congrats

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Congrats to you and Lee, the shoot came out great.

5. You Lucky dog.........

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

Also, what are those wheel covers? I’m guessing ‘57 Buick. I can’t think if I’ve seen bullet-spinners like this before.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Has to be one of the sexiest '49-50 coupes of all time, past or present!
    Keep a light, right foot w/ that torquey nailhead; those stock o.d. trannys don't take much abuse. (Don't ask me
    how I know!)
    Nothing wrong with that soft, flat lighting. Cuts down on contrasts and reflections; just what those new colors need.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice score Ryan!!

9. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

10. Nice Shoebox! The colors made me think of this one from NJ. I was told it was originally a regular 2 or 4dr sedan. 100_4321 (Medium).JPG

Rand Man likes this.
  11. As many previous replies said, congratulations on getting the car. I would just fix those small things you listed and drive it, enjoying every mile with a big smile on my face. No need to apologize for buying a car that is known as "Lee Pratt's Shoebox" as you can be its caretaker now.

12. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

That Allstate is a record player not an A/C. Bring over your vinyl and let's rock !!

Petejoe likes this.
  13. I've always thought that shoeboxes looked great unchopped. I don't understand why some guys work so hard to lower the lid when they can look like that without the hassle.

Something about pinstripes keeps floating through my mind as I stare at it though.

Really a cool car...

14. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I almost asked the other day what was up your sleeve with the nailhead.I'm with you on liking this paint combo better. Now get to work on the 38.She's waited her turn...

porkshop likes this.
  15. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

If it still has the original rear , grab a '51 automatic car 3rd member and swap it out. Puts RPMs around 2100 at 70 and still plenty of power in 1st gear with the nailhead. Known from experience with my 49 but with a 289.

Nice car.

16. Good on you...looks real nice as it looks...and nailhead power...cool too. Always thought I should have keep my 50 Club Coupe I stayed after for so long as well....last of the NOS flathead motor parts I bought from Stacy's place in Arlington....man that motor ran good for an amateur put together ur.....!

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

When I first saw you were writing again about Lee's Shoebox I first thought to myself; "Jeez, Ryan just needs to buy that car". And sure enough! It's kind of like telling a buddy "quit talking about her and just ask her out".
    Glad you made the leap. Congrats and enjoy!!!

18. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

19. Doesn't need a different rear; with the OD trans, in OD that 4.11 drops to about a 2.90....

20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I think they are '56 Buick with bullet and flips added. Here's Lee's '51 from the 70's, same caps.
    d etroit (300 of 1)-5.jpg

Outback likes this.
  21. Congrats Ryan! The shoebox has to be in my top 5 Lee Pratt cars. Has he changed anything in the interior since its appearance in the Rodder's Journal? Any idea how its lowered? Dropped spindles, cut springs, and blocks out back? It always amazes me how everything that man touches turns to gold!

More pictures please, @Tom davison!

22. One of my favorite shuboxes. Congrats on being current caretaker..

23. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

[QUOTE=" It's kind of like telling a buddy "quit talking about her and just ask her out".[/QUOTE]

This is so true.

Ryan, there should be nothing awkward about owning an iconic car built by someone else. This has been going on since the birth of the hobby. I have one built by Bobby Green, and one built by Chris Casny. It's usually the first thing out of my mouth when someone asks about it. Doesn't make it any less fun to own. Sometimes the best conversations start this way.

24. Terrible80

Terrible80

25. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

That's all I have, E l Hueso. I believe that Ryan did a piece several years ago showing Lee's photo collection.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here ya go!

The Lee Pratt Merc

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Interior is still the same!

28. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the club ---- drive and enjoy --(you've got a great car )

29. I agree with the many comments on the dash (the whole "cockpit"). That's calendar shoot/album cover fodder, right there. Maharaja bait!

But outside, the front grill is the cherry on the cupcake and really sets the tone for the exterior. It's easy to see why you're thinking that there's not much room for improvement.

30. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Like Tom Davison said those wheel covers are 1956 Buick. The '57 are a little bit different. I run the '56 covers with the flippers and smaller bullet on my '51 Merc. They are pretty sweet lookin and a great choice 2017_GNRS__Friday_216-L.jpg Steve's+Merc+th.jpg

enloe, Silva and Rand Man like this.