Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects In a 32..... 331 Caddy or SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earl schieb, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I can do either...lookin' for opinions

Last fall a new Pete & Jake 32 chassis kinda 'fell' into my lap---one of those situations where you HAVE to buy it, no brainer :cool: It came with a new Phoenix crate engine, 350/375 horse. The chassis is set up for 350/350--and I've got a turbo trans somewhere back in the back.....I could have a drivetrain in it in a day's time.......
    But also back in the back I have a '49 331 Cadillac engine out of a 60 thousand mile sedanette, complete with the hydramatic bolted up ready to go. It was a freebie from a car that got updated, parked for years, but the guy got it running and drove it around his yard before yankin' it out.
    Now me being a HAMB junkie and all, and seeing lots of Cad engines being used, I'm wondering out loud-- Pros? Cons? Reliability? Driveability? I know some of you guys KNOW from experience. It's not always about the cool factor.;)

I wouldn't even bother thinking about this, as I'd parked the chassis in my office(makes a great decoration btw:D) and figured I'd get around to it someday...but a 'glass 32 body sort of fell in my lap back around Thanksgiving.......it's kind of like a higher power is pushing me into a hiboy :eek: Better to plan ahead, I always say. Help me to NOT make a mistake(either way)

2. brady1929

brady1929

a lot of stuff falls in your lap! i would go with the cadillac just to be different.

3. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

331 with a cad-lasalle trans no brainer!

4. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I'm partial to cads but I'd still say that's a no brainer.

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Parts for the Chevy are cheap, and easily available. I don't think anyone ever disputes the reliability of a SBC!

I'd go with the Caddy!:cool:

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Cad engine is what's going to make that car. It's going to be that thing that brings that car into a whole new level. Cads and Olds are no brainers....they take precedent over everything. The only way I would choose one of them over a Chevy if it was a full house 265/283/301 engine with some really nice goodies on top. I think you'll be doing the car a favor by going with the cad.

7. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

Looks like the Cads have it! Dreddybear's cad looks really nice all shined up.

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Do you want people to just walk by your car at shows or stop, look, comment and ask questions. It's up to you if the Cad. is worth the effort. But really if you plan to put 10,000 miles or more a year on your rod the sbc is what you need.

9. SBC are nice if you drive a Camaro :rolleyes:

10. Funny you mentioned that.... I've got a complete early 3spd side shift setup too....:eek:

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

It depends ... really :)

IF you are going to sell the 32 ( I know you like to flip things )
    Then the Chevy SBC by all means :D

But if you are going to keep it ... for a long, long time ...
    Then the Cadillac would be COOL

A LOT of folks on the HAMB bitch and moan about the SBC .. but they are the easiet, most dependable engine in the hot rod world. The SBC is lighter, so it will drive a little better ... and with 375 HP it will be quicker ... ( BOTH a plus when selling ). If you get away from home ... and something breaks ... the SBC is a lot easier to deal with ( I know you like to ride and get away from home )

SO it really depends on your plans for the 32 ...

See you in April ...

Randy

12. Gator

Gator

I'm gonna go against the grain here Mike.

Since you have automotive ADD just like me, I'm assuming this will be for sale almost as soon as it's finished - and since it's a glass 'coupester' body (no knock, just saying) I think your potential buyer's gonna be more of a street rodder type and would also prefer a SBC. I'm also thinking you're wanting this to go together rather quickly, and anything you need for the Chebby is easy and cheap.

I'd stick a Chevy in it and save the Caddy for something Mo' Betta.

Maybe that '36 taildragger project?

Just my two cents.

Either way, let me know when you wanna start thrashing on it, we'll make it a Poorboys throwdown.

13. ah Randy, you know me well.....:eek:

32 roadster isn't exactly my "dream" car :(....I even had a steel 3W on the cheap and let it go....and felt no remorse :eek:
    I'm more about building than owning, or even driving anymore. Must be the latent artist in me....
    Dream/keeper car? I am unashamedly sporting wood for a taildragger, and have a glass 35/6 3W body on a 40 chassis with an 8BA sporting an Edmunds 2-pot---THAT is the car I want to keep forever until I croak.....yeah, a Deuce roadster would be tits. :cool:....but there's already two topless Corvettes and a 62 Caddy droptop on my property....and not much hair on top 'o my head.

Maybe I should put the Caddy in the 3W and the flathead in the 32 :confused:

(charlie brown) AAAAUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! (charlie brown)

14. hotdamn

hotdamn

mr schieb, I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but SERIOUSLY????

its not like we are comparing a 351 to a sbc here, this is a 331 cad!!!

also, there are 2 38-40 lasalle transmissions and 1 37 lasalle trans in the classifeids right now...

just saying;)

15. pdq67

pdq67

Old-School Cad, (and even up to a MODERN 500" jobber), or up to a 425 nailhead Buick!!

And the big Olds back then up to the 394 is another to think about!

pdq67

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

17. 32 vickey

32 vickey
    from mesa az

if you plan on driving it a lot i would go with the sbc more power and to me look a lot better then any cad motor

18. 'Mo

'Mo

You said it!:cool:

19. pcterm2

pcterm2

the caddy without out a doubt

20. coupemerc

coupemerc

I measured up a cad for my 32 and it is a bit longer and wider than the chevy. That may have some importance if you want to run a hood. I went with a 283 chevy on mine but the cad is a bit more interesting.

21. Well, my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It would be cool for you to have a car to drive, somewhere, anywhere!!! :D

That being said, finish it with the sbc for expediency sake, and get on the road a bit. You know it will sell soon anyway.

Keep the "cool factor" engine for another project (of which you have a never ending supply).

I seem to recall you have another Caddy engine awaiting it's turn also. :cool:

22. I vote for the CAD!
    Despite potential problems (cost, maybe not so easy to find parts on that road trip and etc.) you could easily be the most unique! Maybe even mobbed by those autograph hounds....

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike, considering the fiberglass body, and the fact that a deuce isn't your dream-car, I have to agree with your buddy Randy...for all the reasons he stated. Good luck with everything.

24. turdytoo

turdytoo

When I have a hard time falling asleep, I go to the shop and raise the hood on my avitar instead of taking a sleeping pill.

25. Maybe I should put the Caddy in the 3W and the flathead in the 32 :confused:

Sound like the perfect combination:D. I wouldn't think twice

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am a Chevy supporter but it all depends on the period style you are after. Many people like to bash the mouse motor but that's because they are "No-Brainers" Mouse motors are reliable (can still buy them from Chevrolet) and there are parts everywhere so cost is reasonable. I would go with the mouse motor but the bottom line is your choice. It's your project, your money, follow your heart.

27. :eek::eek: you are correct, Ken :eek::eek: My poor 57.......:( Shame on me....

Will I see you and Vicki @ the Roundup? Hope so...(yes, I WILL be there:cool:)

28. We are planning to go. It's great to hear you are planning to be there also.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like your not going to "keep" this one. With that said which drivetrain would you rather have "sitting around" waiting for a project. If I were faced with the same decision I'd stuff the SBC into the '32 and send it down the road. You would then have the Caddy for a future taildragger/custom project that you would be more inclined to keep.

Frank

30. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The Cadillac with a manual would be cooler. The Cadillac engine is quite a bit heavier than the SB Chevy. In a light car that's significant. The Cadillac engine is a durable, fairly powerful, and has enough safety margin to tolerate being hopped-up without hurting it. Aside from the weight, the only other bad thing I can tell you about the Cadillac is that the 331 heads sometimes crack in the combustion chamber, at the ports. I'm not sure if that was corrected on the 365 or 390 versions of that same engine.