Register now to get rid of these ads!

In 1963, If you sat down with a car dealer...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

While we are at it. Does anyone have any pics other then what is on the net of the 1977 Desert Fox GMC Sierra and Jimmies. These seem to be super rare and I am trying to get some pics because I am working on building my 1994 GMC Yukon into a soldier tribute truck for my brothers and sister in arms who have lost their lives in the war on terror and was thinking this would be a great theme (minus the stripes or a variation of the colors). PM me if you do please.

2. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

Just for curiosity sake could they have made an Alaska Package for these trucks due to the extremities. You know like a California Special Mustang package. Just wondering.

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Yes,,But the 396 BB was put into Factory 4 x 4's in '69 ,,i drove em ,,saw em ,,and my friend in Pheonix bought a new '69 3/4 ton long box ,camper spl , 4 X 4 P/Up with a Factory 396 in '69 AND STILL HAS IT SITTIN' IN HIS GARAGE TODAY ,,the '69 Blazer with the factory 396 ,,i drove one in Alaska for the winter of '68-'69 ,,the 396 was substituted for the 400 Small Block in the '70 Blazers ,,even Googla says that ,,
    my friend in Pheonix is trying to find his window sticker and build sheet that came with the pick-up ,,but he's lived in Alaska ,,was in the Army Nat'l Guard up there in the '70's and moved to several places in the lower '48 ,,,he bought and restored an original '65 Dodge Coronet Factory LightWeight Hemi car and just got it down to Pheonix ,,plus he's a Pilot / Fishing-Hunting Guide for a Lodge in Alaska ,so,,,finding sum old paper work for me isn't no 1 on his list ,,

4. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Well,,I think that's one reason the Factory sent those 396 BB '69 Blazers to Alaska ,,,we were told by the Dealer they were for testing ,,thats why we tore em up ,,BUT ,,my Dad bought a Orange n White '69 Blazer w' a 396 BB in it from Crescent Chevrolet ,in Des Moines ,Iowa,,,for his Boss to take to his Vacation Home in Colorado X-Mas of '69,,,,

5. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

On that Same Alaska Special Note ,,in '67-'68 ,,Yamaha sent 4 Special New Snow Mobiles to Anchorage for the Dealer to run in the first MidNite Sun 600 Mile Anchorage to Fairbanks Race ,,I was selected to run one of em ,,after the Race ,,we sent all four back to Japan for evaluation of all that broke ,,none of us finished the three day race ,,mine blew a piston the 2nd day ,,others broke all kinds of stuff ,,the next year ,,the Yamaha Dealer got a truckload of new sleds to sell ,,12 of us bought sleds & ran em ,,,6 made it all the way ,, one was third,,i finished 7th ,,6 broke ,,,,
    Also ,,in '65 when i was in the Air Force ,,a F-102 Mechanic ,,the USAF sent 6 F-106's up there for Alaska Winter Testing ,,none of em passed ,,,

6. 64afx

64afx

You are correct sir! Living in this area I know the EXACT wagon in Raytown being referred to. It is NOT a factory GTO wagon regardless of popular opinion.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

7. Blairfootn

Blairfootn

In 1965 my dad wanted a 442, my mom said we needed a family car, my dad talked to the dealer, he made a phone call & for $500 extra my dad's vista cruser went down the line to a certain point then moved onto the 442 line, got the bucket seats, dash cluster, w31, 4 speed, posie. they both got what they wanted, bitchen 1 off car, wish I had it today

8. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Gotta a picture?

BTW (A) They didn't have a second line for 442s (B) W-31 motors didn't come in 442s ever. (C) Posi-traction was availible in wagons and lots had them.

A dealer could have installed this stuff but not likely from Oldsmobile or and Assembly division.

9. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think some dealerships were better connected to GM & knew how to order non-optional stuff. My brother would tell me about how he & his buddies would pass the time in Vietnam by planning their own supercars from Nickey Chevrolet.

10. mckimar

mckimar

my grandpa was in the navy and saved up enough money to get a new car so he went and ordered a 67 gto from the dealer it had 400ci 4 speed 3.73 posi wich is not that rarebut the color combination is the cool part.it is marron with a ivory top with the vynal trim?? that car ran in th mid 13.6 i belive. going back and lookin at the productions my grandpa ordered 1 of 6 cars with them options back then. the cool thing is that the 67 gto is still sitting in his garage to this day. mind you 1 owner and 1 of six ever built!!! thats cool.

NoSurf likes this.
  11. Those wagons and sedans Pontiac produced in 72 could be ordered with the Endura Nose Option.
    They closely resembled GTO’s But the were Lemans and Lemans Sports.
    My brothers 72 demonstrator was so equipped. He worked for Perry Pontiac Cadillac in the 70’s.
    He also had a Super Duty 455 Firebird in 73 and 74.
    Talk about rare!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.