Register now to get rid of these ads!

Imron paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 270283, Sep 20, 2009.

1. 270283

Is the Imron paint that was popular in the Seventies any more difficult to remove or paint over than regular paint? I will be looking at a car that was painted with it back then and would want to change colors eventually. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. ThePuck

ThePuck
    from Ottawa

If the paint is aged and has lost its sheen, it should strip just like any other paint.

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

I used to paint my dump bodies with Imron every couple of years. The sandblasters always said it was a bitch to blast clean.

4. Bead blast it or dip it Less warpage

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

It's tough paint to strip!

6. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

I wrecked a pickup painted with it---came off in big chunks

7. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

it is HARD.....stripper works better than sanding

8. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

sodablasting polishes it.. lol

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If it's a color change you want and it's got a sound base, block sand it with 400grit and put on what you want.

10. The original Imron was a very hard paint and it is difficult to remove. They used to have Cyanide in the hardener which has been outlawed. The newer stuff is not as hard.

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just remember the voodoo surrounding that paint being 'deadly' to inhale, in the 80's.

12. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I used to shoot abunch on diesel rigs,,it was great to shoot and repair. Just block it and color change and flip it.

13. I remember the 80s I was the only one in the shop that was stupid enough to shoot it So my boss took on the entire fleet of KCMO fire trucks to re paint from red to chrome yellow & theresee nutton rong wif Mee???:confused:

14. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Its not the paint, its the hardner thats used. Isocyanates are odorless, but the trick it if you smell the paint, your breathing the poison. It forms a hard lining on your lungs and your lungs cant expand. Imron was commercially a very hard, and long lasting paint. Didnt really shine though. You could buff it out and looked good.

15. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

My old man had his 53 F-100 painted with that stuff in about 1975. When He tore it down to do a complete rebuild years later, he had the sheetmetal dipped. The dipper said that stuff took 2 trips through the tank, and additional scrapping to get off. He was a little pissed the old man hadn't told him it was on there....

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

we painted both our "Bogging" trucks with it in 82...the mud never hurt the shine but turning the Blazer over twice did.

17. 61_Poncho_Ventura

61_Poncho_Ventura

I use to spray heavy equipment with the stuff, I would only recommend using it on frames.

18. skullhat

skullhat

i remember when that stuff came out, painted alot of cars and trucks with it. i would treat it just like any other old paint job.
    would be cool to see pics of a 35 year old job, and see if all the hype was close to true.

painted a christen eagle airplane a few years back with the newer stuff , imron 5000 or something to that effect.

skull