Register now to get rid of these ads!

improvements to the f1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Feb 17, 2014.

1. I wanted to improve on the handling to my f1 but keep the original type of spring setup. I asked around if anyone had installed a sway bar to this type suspension with none having responded with real world tech SO.
    I began searching for parts that came close to what I thought would work and with some slight mods I installed one to my f1 ...
    I also added radial tires and t5/overdrive 265/75/15 coopers on the rear and 225/75/15 coopers to the front
    installed posey front springs lowering the front 2.5 inch's
    I removed every other leaf from the rear springs and reversed the rear hanger to lower the rear giving the truck a 1/2 inch rake and lowering the center of gravity a few inch's
    I added traction bars to the lower side of the rear springs to stop wheel hop and clutch chatter in low or reverse
    NOW for the results.... I can't begin to tell you how much these changes improved the handling and overall safety of my f1.. It once was a farm truck made to run down old country roads to now capable of todays interstate highways ...No longed just a parade truck ..I can run 75+ MPH
    at around 2450 RPM
    hear are some photos of the changes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. ...how bout a pic or 2 of the whole truck.

3. rusty1, these are before photos I will post some after photos in a day or so when I can get it outside. I'm still working on the front sway bar

Attached Files:

4. How were the posie springs to put in and how do they look? Thinking about putting some on mine

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. What sort of rear bar? I have a chassis engr. rear spring kit in mine. I've been thinking about adding their optional bar.
    Your truck looks nice.

6. greenmonster48,the springs were bolt in no problem. the look a little flater than stock and lower the truck around 2.5 inch's. I like them just fine

7. Great thanks. I was just reading your post over on the fordbarn. I think I may be adding these once the snow melts

8. charleyw, the rear bar came off a 2007 Tahoe front end.. I heated it and bent it around to around 90 deg.on each end to fit the rear of my f. I purchased a mustang connector link to connect to a fabricated bracket I installed between the spring and rear end housing I used 2x4 steel box tubing for the frame to bushing mount ..
    by the way the bar looks to be too big but it is 1 1/8th dia hollow high grade steel with 1/8th inch thick wall very light in weight but very effective

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. I'll see what I can do Dave ....

10. I don't have a clear straight on view of the before but I'll post what I have... also see my photo album , may be something there

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  11. Wow that sits down nice!

12. Thanks GM48, I think it sets just right. not to low /not to high...and I love the new ride quality....

13. Nice Ford!...I see you're buildin a Stude p.u. as well, looks very cool also.

14. Buckster

Buckster

I installed a front sway bar off of a Ford Galaxie on my '56 F100. I had to fabricate some brackets that bolted to the axle to accept the sway bar's end links. This sway bar mounted to the frame just behind the front spring's shackle. It made a world of difference in the handling of my truck. This work was submitted to a magazine & shown in an article. If there is interest I will track down that issue.

15. havi

havi

Good deal! Posies for mine as well.

16. buckster, I am doing something similar to what you described to my f1 front end and will post photos later on this week also the results .

17. hey thanks rusty1 on the digits for my stude truck I need lots more money to complete it and just do not have it right now. by the way I love the art work you have posted on the Friday art show . I really love your style.... loved the study panel truck last week

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Excellent!!! Thanks for the info and LOVE your truck!!! My '48 will be getting the T5 soon and have been thinking about the Posies lowering springs. This just sealed the deal!! I really want to make a decent driver out of mine too eventually. Great job!!!

19. toolman1967

toolman1967

Thats good work there. Thinking out of the box and modifying parts to fit. Very impressed!!

Tim the Toolman

20. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Buckster...and John....yes, there is interest! I would love to see some pics of your work. I have a '55 Dodge 1/2 ton and it is very similar to the mid-50's Fords. I have found a "parts vehicle" for the front and rear bars, and looking at John's truck I can duplicate what he has done. I'm just a little unsure about how to install the front bar. Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Steve-

21. front bar

Attached Files:

22. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Thanks John!
    That's what I was needing. Excellent work! The pics really help.
    Steve-

23. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

I was able to obtain a rear sway bar from a '01 Dodge Durango and after fabbing and welding some brackets onto my axle was able to install the bar without any issues. $25 for the bar and about $4 for some grade 8 bolts and done. Thanks again, John for the great idea. It did vastly improve the ride and handling qualities of my old truck. Now to find a T-5 and a front bar. John, what did you use for the front sway bar on yours?
    Steve-

Attached Files:

24. Steve!
    for the front I found one on e/bay from an 88 Rolls Royce Silver Spur rear bar.. I had to heat it in the bends to widen it to fit. Just cool it quick to keep it hard. I looked on e/bay under used sway bars and found both the ones I put on my f1. there are hundreds to choose from and most are cheep. measure and ask for size and width from the seller before you buy .I had to heat and bend both of mine to fit. the rear bar was 2006 ford mustang 1.250 hollow bar ,it had to be bent inward on each end to work on my f1.
    pm me if I can help.. John

25. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Thanks John. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks for the information!
    Steve-

26. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

John,
    I'm really glad I found this thread.

I'm REALLY struggling on what to do with my '55.2 Chevy short bed big window. I've gone from absolutely going to keep the I-beam, to going to run C4 Vette IFS and IRS.

I have no doubt that IFS/IRS would ride and handle better but:
    • It's expensive
    • I'll have the truck torn down quite awhile
    • - and I don't really have space for a derelict in my driveway long term
    • And the biggest thing:
    • - You don't see early Ford guys dump their I beams, wishbones, buggy springs, etc. They maximize their handling using the original suspension as much as possible. Plus I can't stand the idea of clipping my truck and having to cut the frame in half - UGH!
    Did you/have you rebuild the king pins? Why the Posies and not a dropped axle; what were your concerns? Have you/ARE you considering power steering? Because I am. Any advice from someone who has done this and is happy with the results will be invaluable.

PS: I'm running 235/75x15's on my vintage knock-off TT's in my avatar.

27. Dan in Pasadena! nice truck in your avatar!!!
    I have rebuilt the front end ( everything ) I have no plans for power at this time... The posies were available and the old springs were junk I just looked for a replacement spring and they came up... I didn't buy then just to lower the truck although it did lower it around 2 inch's I have 225/75/R15 on the front and 265/75/R15 on the rear. It steers very well except when sitting still. I keep it lubed and it works ok...

28. On my 48 f1 I had sids drop the axle 3 inches, used 2 inch reversed eye dropped springs, and removed every other leaf on the rear. A sway bar from 3rd gen camaro/ firebird fits perfectly onthe reat with a little mods. On the front I made onout of a piece of 3/4 pipe. Handles like a sports cat. I put a 3 rd ge. Camaro 5 speed in it , had to fab brackets for the clutch, because I still have the drum brakes, pedals in the floor, and original steering. It all works fine

29. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Gasman...thanks for your post. I have been thinking about obtaining either 1 inch or 3/4 inch steel bar and bending it up to fit my old Dodge. I wasn't sure this would work or not, but if it did for yours then I'm going to do the same for mine. I have a lot of 'stuff' under there that I have to work around to get a bar on the front. I want mine to handle like a 'sports cat' too.
    Steve-

30. Nice work, John! Would love to catch up again!