Register now to get rid of these ads!

Import/Export/Customs info needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50specialdeluxe, Jun 15, 2013.

1. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Thinking about doing a trade with a member from Ontario and before committing to anything want to get an idea of what's involved to get my car there and his car to me. I'm in St. Louis, MO am new to the import/export thing, plus there will be shippers involved. Any help is appreciated!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

If the car you are getting is over 25 years old, getting it into the US is not that difficult. Lots of people will tell you it is impossible/too difficult/too expensive, but usually those people have not done it. My best advice would be to locate a firm that handles auto imports (not a shipping company, an import company). They will handle all the paperwork, and the cost is very reasonable. You must be able to prove that you are the owner, and provide evidence of the previous owner selling the car to you.

I don't have any advice about getting your car to the new owner, but in my experience getting cars out of the US is not a problem.

3. Also need some information as well. I am the kid in Ontario looking to do the trade. Mine is a '56 Ford and his is a '51. Is there anyone that could transport the cars for us? Also how hard would it be to bring his car into Canada?

Thanks!

4. 2935ford

2935ford

I have done deals both ways across the Canada/US border.

No problem for either car for either country to get in.

US side into Canada.....you need the original (some US customs will allow a faxed copy...check where you are crossing in) title/reg and BOS to US customs 72 hours before you cross. Then pay your Canadian taxes...that's it, that's all.
    Note: some folks don't bother doing this and get by.

Canada to US........check the car at the US border at time of crossing. Taxes are paid at their local DMV/DOT.

If you are having them delivered.....forms need to be filled out for the transport driver. Not sure of all the details with third party transport but someone has to pay Canadian taxes at the border.
    Just call Canada customs...they will tell you exactly what they want.

I usually pickup my vehicle in the US and bring it over myself. Same the other direction, I take it over to the US.

It's not difficult.

Hope this helps.
    If the both of you can each get your car to the border w/o third party transport......it's very simple.

If you use shipping......it would be better to have the US car shipped to someplace close to the Canadian border and pick it up and take it across to Canada after clearing US customs.
    Maybe time it/pre arrange using one shipper to drop and pickup at the same time on the US side.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013