Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Impala 4 to 2 doors conversion?? Anybody??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sergioperez78, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Hi! I´ve recently bought a 1959 4 door Impala, and I was wondering if it could be converted to a 2 door ride. Anybody with pics and measures??
    Thanks! Sergio

Attached Files:

Jerone77* likes this.
  2. Shagrat

Shagrat

3. never done it, too much work. I like my 4-door, very handy to take friends cruizin'.

4. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

just say no. want a 2 door? buy a 2 door. much much easier.

5. big creep

big creep

is it that you cant find a two door? im sure the cost of making it a two door would be the same, as if you buy a two door no?

6. '59 Chevys of any stripe probably do not grow on trees in Argentina.

I would say see if you can foot the bill to import a pair of doors and quarters from the US and use them to build it. Biggest issue is removing the little quarter window -

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. jobba7234

jobba7234
    from RI

Attached Files:

• 042.jpg
      042.jpg
      File size:
      389.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. jobba7234

jobba7234
    from RI

a couple pictures..

Attached Files:

• 046.jpg
      046.jpg
      File size:
      456.2 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. trukin55

trukin55

OMG! Jobba, You are awesome. VERY impressive. That car looks great. You must have alot of patience. I am curious, how long did it take?

10. redsdad

redsdad

11. not a fan of 59 chevy but verry nice job get a A+

12. Squablow

Squablow

I was just about to hunt down the link to this build but I see the builder has posted it already. Very impressive work if I do say so. I'd say the question of "can it be done" is pretty clearly answered "yes" with that one.

Being that the original poster is from Argentina, I think this is the way to go, since it doesn't require the use of donor parts like mine did. If the OP was in the States, I'd say just find a 2 door post donor and start cutting, but that might be tough stuff to find in Argentina.

13. Thanks Jobba for the comments, pictures and advices you gave me. I was told that no Bel Air 2 door sedan was imported to Argentina so it´s impossible to get the doors or panels. Besides, we cannot import used parts... :( Jobba told me to get the glass set first so I can take measures and cut exactly what it should be, so I ordered it in Auto City Classic.

14. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Just shave the door handles. My brother had a 57 4 door hardtop back in the late 60s and he shaved the handles. The main body was white primer and the top was gloss black. It had chrome reverse wheels with knock offs and If anyone remember these, chrome covers that covered the lugs and was held in place by the knock offs. Man that car was sweet.

16. jobba7234

jobba7234
    from RI

Hi Guys that's for the greats comments. I started the build in 2/09 and the car was Painted and exterior was together by 10/09. So it was about a 9 month project. Just started a 67 Pontiac GTO.

17. Here we go!!!!!

Attached Files:

18. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

Yes, it can be done. I did my car..not a 59 impala...but a 51 Mercury.

Yes, it was a four door!!

Here it is now!
    [​IMG]

19. Squablow

Squablow

Nice. I'll be watching this one come together. Be sure to post pictures as you go.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lets see some construction pics!

21. jobba7234

jobba7234
    from RI

Sergio Make sure you leave room for your window channels. I bought new channels from Steele Rubber https://secure.steelerubber.com Here are the parts numbers 70-1238-58 I bought 5-5ft. pieces for doors and quarter windows. 70-0347-58, 1 pair and 70-0516-58 1 pair. My channels were falling apart. I did have the new channels before I started to weld anything. Check your fit to tight your glass will bind. About a 1/8" of inch play will do.

22. Hi Steve! Thanks a lot for the info!! Still working a few hours on the car... Still waiting the MIG...

I would like to know how did you manage to cut the quarter glass section... ( image 2 )

Attached Files:

23. Trying again... But now I leave all the job to Viejo Paz!!!

Attached Files:

24. Master of None

Master of None

Awesome! hats off to you for going for it.:D

25. some little progress on rear quarter window!

Attached Files:

Squablow likes this.
  26. NONHOG

NONHOG

Any progress on this!?

27. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven

28. Jerone77*

Jerone77*

I just picked up a 1959 bel air 4dr aswell. And I'm planning on converting it to a 2door. BUT I do not like the post like and I do not like the how high the BelAir roof is. I want to have that "Panoramic view" and slim smooth look of the impala roof. I just wanted to know if anyone has accomplished or attemped thst kind of 2dr conversation?

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Guess everybody knows the sedans have a stated roof height...and the convertibles and 2-and-4 dr. hardtops are 'factory chopped'! (1.5 or 2 inches)
    So, be careful when ordering windshields. Even the Fords are like this...

30. squirrel

squirrel

you bought a 4 door sedan, and you really wanted to buy a 2 door hardtop?

I suggest you sell the 4 door sedan, save up some money, and buy a 2 door hardtop.