Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Images of white cars/wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Apr 13, 2017.

1. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey, looking at white paint. There's pure white, fleet white, Wimbledon white, cloud white, wispy white, linen white, spinnaker white..

Is 'pure' white too white? What are most of the factory whites? What's your preference?

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

White has many attributes.

White is forgiving whereas black is not.

White reflects heat.
    White is quite literally cool where black is hot.

A black car in the hot Alabama sun can burn you, burn you bad if you stay in contact long enough. Black vinyl seats have sent more than one person in shorts to the hospital.

I have seen many old black cars with paint the burned off from the sun. They actually turned purple/blue from the heat like hot metal does.

White looks clean when it's dirty.
    Black looks dirty when it's fairly clean or just dusty.

There's something inherently classy about white.

blowby and mgtstumpy like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

ffr1222k likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Ron Funkhouser and Jalopy Joker like this.
  6. Wimbleton whit is pretty stark white almost refrigerator color. I prefer a cream on a whit car but I am happy with anyone's car white or not. I don't have to drive it.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ok thanks. Yes I think I like a creamy white too, which is what it looks like on the tcp global examples. Unreliable I'm sure.

Just my latest forray into color choices for my ready to paint heap. Probably change my mind but for right now it sounds good.

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

All original 57, Corinthian White and original dog dishes. 223 Six and treeonnatree

SD1.jpg

9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-9-20_3-19-22.png
    Hello,

In our Westside of Long Beach neighborhood, there were plenty of cars that came stock from the factory with white paint. The local car dealers on the nearby main boulevard were stocked with white cars and were usually set up for the business man/woman’s daily transportation. Why white? They stay cleaner longer, blend in with other cars/buildings, and there was usually no extra cost as white was a basic color. It is a business coupe or sedan with getting to work, being the major factor in the purchases.

It was hard to convince my dad to get any color other than in the black or blue family. But, our cousin’s mom had to have a daily driver for work and since she was the only wife that could drive, she was the only one with a car. But, to change the look, she had her choice of a plain white one or one with a dark grayish color for a two tone model. We were told that she did not pay extra for the two tone paint, as the salesman wanted to make a sure sale and threw in the different paint scheme.

Jnaki

It was a pure businessman’s sedan with simple upholstery and plain rubber coated floors. When we were little, that 4 door sedan was our playground when we visited them for family get togethers. There were 4 little kids all over the interior, playing taxi cab drivers and/or dads, cruising around the neighborhood.

Since the extra cost to have different hubcaps, the wheels were painted by the factory, to match with the car color from the dealer’s showroom. White car, white wheels… as stock as possible. It also happened to be the least amount for a simple businessman/woman's daily commuter.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Ron Funkhouser and Jalopy Joker like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-30_3-14-36.png Manhattan Beach 1955 (little brother: ... "Let me in, gurgles"...)
    Hello,

Most standard model cars that came with the same color wheels and small hubcaps were the business models that somehow got on the bottom of the dealer’s price lists. Instead of carpet, there was rubber floor mats or sometimes, no floor mats at all. That was something the dealers would throw in, trying to make the sale.

My wife’s family car in 1955-57 was a "newish" 55 Chevy two door sedan for a family of 5. That two door Chevy rolled back and forth across the South West to OKC and back to So Cal several times. It was like the family was following the job availability in each state. When one job opened up, it was uproot the kids from elementary school and head off to the OKC, near the rest of the family and friends. Then when that contract was over, back to So Cal to the burgeoning market of jobs.
    upload_2019-10-30_3-18-44.png Norman, Oklahoma 1955-56
    It was just something that family did while the kids were growing up. My wife said that she went to 5 different 6th grade classes, in two states. It was a sorry state (pun) to uproot kids in that last stage of elementary school heading into those weird Junior High School days. Those Junior High School days were troubling enough without being the “New kid on the block.”

Jnaki

Since the kids were fairly little, the room in the back set was OK for the long cross country road trips. The 1955 Chevy two door sedan fit everything and everyone for those business searching trips. All of the “kids” are a lot older today and they remember having tons of time for all kinds of play, during those cross country trips, in that back seat.

Ron Funkhouser and Elcohaulic like this.
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There was a cool 57 coupe around town when I was in high school like this one - nose down a little, two-toned black / white and TT. It stood out everywhere, just so cool looking.