Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm torn between a few options... help me out.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Aug 13, 2012.

?
  1. 1

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. 2

22 vote(s)
    95.7%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, I’m pretty torn between a few options I have for my 55’ Chevy panel truck. Anyone that has kept up with my build thread (why on Earth would you do that?) knows that I want to build a new frame for it eventually. So, for the last few months, I have been saving every penny because I have myself convinced that I need a plasma cutter (I know I don’t HAVE to have one, but I sure as hell want one). As I get closer to my goal to get a Hypertherm Powermax 30, I start to realize all the parts I could get for my 55’…. Anyhoo, here are my options:

1. Get the plasma cutter, get started on the new frame (could take a long time because of my budget, and I’ll have to rip my truck apart again).

Or

2. Get the truck legal and registered, throw on some new white walls and hubcaps, finish up the lights, and drive the piss out of it until I can afford the plasma cutter and then do the frame.

Or

3. Get the plasma cutter, start back at $0 and save until I can get the truck running and legal, then do the frame.

A few days ago, I was totally sold on option 1, but I can’t help but think about how much fun this thing will be to drive. Today I’m leaning toward option 2, but option 3 doesn't sound so bad either... I graduate in less than a year and my budget will be a little more flexible once I start working again (my wife works, I’m a stay at home dad). Also, I’ll be teaching high school math, and I can’t help but think about the looks of shock I’ll get from students driving it…

Alright, so what do you guys think I should do?

Here’s my truck if you haven’t seen it before:
    [​IMG]

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Get over thinking you need a new frame and drive it. Also a plasma cutter made my build possible, so its just as important as my welder.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

4. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It's not really that I need a new frame, but I'm not happy with how I went about it. The C notch is sloppy, I never stripped it or coated it, and the truck isn't mounted properly. I can fix the body mounts when I finish the floor, but I keep thinking it would be fun to try and build my own frame from scratch (mostly).

5. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I would get it driving. Then save up for the plasma, start working on the frame while its still on the road.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, it would be fun. Then again, driving an old truck is also fun. I did it just today. With a stock frame.

7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Well, that's something else I neglected to mention... It's on an s10 frame. I know bags aren't traditional either, but losing the s10 frame will put me a little closer to the the traditional circle of trust.

8. squirrel

squirrel

It's kind of obvious it's not on a stock frame.....

I was hinting that driving any old truck is a lot of fun, even if it doesn't have the latest trendy look.

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Gotcha, and point taken.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If it's safe to drive, then drive it. Work on the new frame while you're driving the panel.. If you try and start over then you may feel the urge to rush through the new frame. With it driving, you can take your sweet time getting the frame done up all pretty to your liking, maybe even build the drivetrain of your dreams and get it all dialed in to where when the frame's ready, throw the body on there and drive it while you do the body work.

Whew.. Excuse the run-on sentence. :)

11. belair

belair

You need another choice on your poll-"Do whatever squirrel says."

12. Why is a plasma cutter necessary for building a frame?

I second the drive it ASAP and build another frame on the side.

13. i have unlimited access to a plasma the "fun" gets old. drive it. then buy ths plasma if you "need" it.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I'm gonna get a plasma cutter one of these years.

Honest, I am.

15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It would be safe enough to drive around town, but I wouldn't trust it for a long haul (possible over heating and whatnot). I'm more worried about getting it running and then becoming distracted by a 38' that I really want... :rolleyes:

Hahaha, man, if I could edit the poll, I would probably do that!

It's not necessary, but I have been using harbor freight angle grinders for years, and I'm fed up with them (notice the plural ;)). It would just be a really nice tool to have on hand.

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm thinking option 2 is the clear winner here but dude it's your call. As said by others. Drive it and build the frame you want then get some of those high school kids to help you transfer the body once the frame is done (Weekend project).

17. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Yeah, looks like the other options don't stand a chance! I guess for me, it's really between option 2 and 3. It would be a lot of fun to buy up a bunch of parts all of a sudden, but I can buy parts every couple of months as I save up. The cutter will be another long run of saving up, and that's not a whole lot of fun.

I dunno, I need to finish thinking it through, but I sure would love to start driving! Thanks to everyone for the input.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

should have just built it on the S-10 frame without bags. spent a bunch of money to make your truck look stupid when you park.

19. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Stupid to you, bitchin to me. Who is more right; you, me or the next guy? I say he is. Its his truck.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

De gustibus non est disputandum.

His truck.

21. deto

deto

This is what I come to the hamb for. Latin....

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

Doc.:rolleyes::p