Register now to get rid of these ads!

Im the one buying the old cars that go to the crusher... ..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

Hey guys I manage a scrap yard where we buy copper, brass, scrap steel. I get a car or two a week that has been pulled out of a ditch, fence row, or barn. Most of these cars are too far gone to save but alot of them have a good emblem, dash clock, or other misc trim.

Cool thing is my boss and i are car guys, bad thing is i dont have the time or manpower to pull off every good part.

I would like to find some way to post a pic of the car and have you guys tell me what you need and if its good and i have it would be more than happy to pull the part and sell it. Not looking to get rich, just trying to save what i can and help out a fellow HAMBer find that elusive piece.

I know i need to have the part off and priced to list in the classifieds but again don't have the time or guys to pull every part. What can i do?

Most of my cars are from the late 30's to the mid 60's

Thanks
    Matt

2. tankwilson

tankwilson

For example i have the following....

61 oldsmobile has a good front bumper
    50 buick with a dash clock
    early 40s chevy car hood side emblems

3. Tank
    Why not post a pic of the car and a pic of a piece that you deem desirable off of said car with a price for that part and explain that there are other pieces on the car that may be good if someone wants something specific they can PM you.

just a thought. I don't know if it will fly but all it will cost you is getting deleted if it doesn't. The mods are pretty sharp and can figure out what you are trying to do or you could give them a heads up with a link to show you are on the up and up.

4. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I save cars from the crusher by me, or try. Im trying to do the same thing to...
    1956 truck, cant keep it past friday
    Was asking scrap value for parts, plus a little to take them off...

5. tankwilson

tankwilson

Yea i will come up with something.

6. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

need a 60 falcon or ranchero front bumper

7. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

Ahhhhh.....Ottumwa, IA. i was born and raised there.

8. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Wheres Radar????

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are a few wrecking yards near me in a similar situation. Their solution is to sell parts cheap. I know 3 or 4 guys who frequent them all at least once a week. They remove any good parts themselves and pay for them in cash. Then they try to resell them on Ebay, at flea markets and through ads on Craigslist and Kijiji. Sometimes they sell something for a good price, usually they sell it cheap to make a sale, sometimes they can't sell it at all.

For them to make anything for their time, gas, etc. they have to buy for a little above scrap metal value. Of course, once in a while they score and this cream goes with the skim milk to make a mixture they can live on.

Only one of them makes a living at this. The others are hobbyists. None of them makes a lot of money.

If you let it get around that you will sell parts cheap in bulk to someone who is halfway sensible you might find a few guys in your area to do the same.

10. tankwilson

tankwilson

Not trying to make a living at this just trying to save every little piece i can. Wish i could just take a pic of the car when i comes in, have you guys tell me what you need. Then pull the parts and sell. Not trying to get rich or scam anyone.

Anyone know of any other boards that will let me do this??? If not i will have to crush all the cars. I don't have time to pull parts hoping they will sell. I would be more than happy to pull parts that i know someone needs.

Thanks
    matt

11. You could start your own HAMB social group if posting on regular HAMB forums is a problem.

12. Freeman1938

Freeman1938

I also was born in Ottumwa in 1938. Folks moved to So. Calif. after WWII. Took us 10 days in a Model A. (Grapes of Wrath)

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I lived in Iowa for a while. I just like saying Ottumwa--it's almost as good as keokuk :D

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is what I am talking about. You need a few pickers to come and pick over the good stuff. Don't charge them too much and let them make a buck too. If you can find some guys who are into the whole parts thing and are halfway sensible to deal with. Let them take the stuff off your hands, that you don't have time to deal with.

15. Maybe just starting a thread in the parts classified and keep a list of the parts vehicles you have on hand. Kind of what Bobwop does with his cars for sale. Keeps his first post on the thread updated and current and then just does his btt on following posts.

Anyway, thanks for looking out for us fellow hoodlums. I've got a 42 Ford with steel and other oddball trim parts. It's missing a few and is a real PITA to find.

16. screwball

screwball

kudos to you im to far away but it sounds like I was years ago when I was in the scrap biz. It hurt me to crush stuff but you gotta do what you gotta do. Any one in you company good with the computer maybe a young guy looking for a job. He could make his own web site and sell the stuff just as it comes in. Just in time vintage parts.