Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration im still alive.......barely

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by outlaw256, Sep 11, 2014.

1. outlaw256

outlaw256

hey everybody.im back. well sort of. ive been down for almosta yr. now. ive had some pretty bad health issues that have kept me away .i could have gottin on here but heres why i didnt. i didnt have the energy to go out to my shop and work on my cars.and that was really eatting me up. causing alot of mental stress. i lost a few friends over this time period because i couldnt hang with them like i used to. i did kind of cut myself off from most people that i really liked so its mostly my fault.but here the reason i stayed away from the hamb. and i loved the hamb. when i got on here i saw what yall were building and doing in your shops. and that just made my problems worse.you were out there building your cars and i was stuck on the porch. it got to were it was easier on me NOT to come to the hamb ans see all your work. when i did see wht you were doing it made me think about how i have all the old cars and i cant do a thing to them.so one nite sitting here on the hamb i made up my mind to just cut all my ties to this place so the pain would be bearable.i am dealing with horrible pain in most of my body then i had to deal with mental pain also. it got to much. so i fixed what i could. i said goodbye to the one place i really loved, the hamb. i made some reallygood friends here. and i cut ties with them too. it was the dumbest thing ive ever done.i have misssed this place something terrible...my son has been on my butt to get back on here and tell yall what and why i did what i did. to make this plain and simple ill say this... i hurt me to see yall workin and me on the porch...period.so im back and ,to those friends i made on here..please understrand why i stopped coming on here.IM BACK...!!!

volvobrynk and stillrunners like this.
  2. belair

belair

Glad you're back. Isolation is not healthy.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Outlaw, good to see you back, but dont forget, this aint reality. Try to get face to face with people as well, it'll help alot with the depression. Take care, and I agree, isolation is not a good thing. The internet is ok, but its no substitute for real face-to-face human interaction.

Grnegg, cptn60, Keep and 1 other person like this.
  4. .............You just spoke volumes there.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome back brother. If you get the urge to go back into hiding...DON'T! As human beings we are designed to be in community instead of being alone. By yourself you will wither up and die, it is just that simple. I am glad to see you are back.

Thor

belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Truer words were never spoken...

7. You missed some good therapy by being gone. When I had back surgery I lived here. But you have to do what is best for you at the time. Now your back all is well. Take care of your health and stay on here. Sounds like your son has your best interest in mind. Good on him!

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The first step is realizing people missed you.

loudbang likes this.
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Glad to see you back, but to be honest I didnt realize you were gone as I come around here in "spells" myself, I may be on everyday for a week or two then off for a week or two or more but Im glad lotsa guys are still here when I do decide to come back around.
    I see your delivery in your avator in a lot of threads, I guess I just took for granted you were still around posting, glad you are;)
    One great thing about this place is you can help fix something or help build something without ever physically picking up a wrench and/or offer advice from your own personal experiences or offer suggestions from your own personal taste and/or preferences.
    (everyone has the option to consider your .02 or pass):D
    In the past you have struck me as being a guy thats been around, and one who knows a thing or two, about a thing or two:cool:
    Your contributions are needed and appreciated,keep on coming around, you are helping someone else build a hotrod and sometimes thats a better feeling than building your own...and its alot easier:D

10. We missed ya,try t0 remember the Hamb can be therapeutic also,just some friendly banter every now and then can lifter your spirits..

No man is a island - human beings are by nature social and will only thrive if they are not isolated from others. HRP

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. good to have you back

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Outlaw...
    Didn't know you were 'ailing'...my back has been bad since last Christmas! Some of the guys here have been great, supportive in spite of my sometimes (Most of the time!) 'crotchety curmudgeon ways'...

I noticed your absence, (apparently, so did belair, Falcon George, Lothian and '56 Dons, 325w, Thor1, tfeverFred, lowbudget, HRP, and 33anda3rd!)
    Don't see Beaner...LOL but he'll sign in, watch.

We missed ya, I forced myself to go out to the shop today, looked over my new bead blaster, turned on the machine! Cleaned off my '28 cross member to get it ready for my '32 frame (under the '27 roadster...)
    Then I came in, got on the HAMB and had to answer you.
    WE'RE HERE... so hang in there. Be here too!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We all have dark periods in our lives to some extent. The important thing is that you got through them and you're back. If your friends were really friends, they'll understand and welcome you back. If not, they were only acquaintances.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  14. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Hi Outlaw, Glad that you are back on here ! I'm having back problems and can't work on my old '50 chevy like I would like to, some times I just go and sat and look at it (this helps) and other days I'm able to work on it. Your H.A.M.B. friends are still here, just post any time that you want to talk, we will be watching for you. Ray...

15. Glad you're back, and do hang out with your gearhead friends. Even if you're not able to work on a car right now, your experience and input can help somebody else solve a problem, maybe a kid who is just starting to play with old cars and is still learning his way around (remember that a whole generation of mechanics has been born since the last vehicle with a carburetor, breaker point ignition, or generator rolled off the assembly line). And, as others have noted, too much isolation is not good for you.

16. Welcome back! Don't beat yourself up so much. Some days I just sit in my garage and talk to my dog. He understands. All the best in the future.

Saxman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Welcome back :)

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

18. Welcome back. It's always good to read and plan. :)
    -Pat

19. Glad your back and welcome to a new day for you. Like a dear friend told me, you'll never know the value of tools unless you have a few loose screws in life. We all go through trials, sounds like you just made it through a tough one. Good job brother.

20. icon_lol.gif HRP

clem likes this.
  21. Welcome back, PM sent.

student of steel likes this.
  22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Never too late to rekindle old friendships, and create new ones.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Welcome back!

Thanks for your honesty and courage on writing that. Isolating yourself and cutting ties with things you used to be passionate about is a sign you may be dealing with clinical depression. Many of us have been down that road. Hell, I'm there right now.

Talk with your doc about it, there may be something he can do for you. There are medications that may help. It's a chemical thing in your brain, it's not a character flaw, and it's not your fault. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and it can be treated.

I take one pill a day, and my mental state has been much better the last few months. The highs and lows even out and you regain some perspective on life and stuff.

I know this is off topic, but since Robin Williams' death recently, I've been more willing to talk about depression and try to help people find help.

Welcome back, friend. Let this place inspire you and fuel your passion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. rc57

rc57

Welcome back. Don't worry about getting stuff done, enjoy the common bonds of the hobby until you're ready. My dad fell off a car trailer helping a friend load a panel and really messed up his back, he was laid up for over a year plus but has gotten back to going to swaps and shows. Bad things happen to good people and friends help along the way. If you're feeling depressed and can't shake it, please talk to a professional. I almost lost my wife to that. Glad you are back in print. God bless you!

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Welcome back, ct1932 Ford has it right. Everyone needs an old car to work on and a dog to talk to.

Saxman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. aaggie

aaggie

Two thoughts, friends that don't come around just because you're down aren't friends. I noticed you don't type with caps much so I wondered if maybe your pain was not having full use of both hands.

Some of us old farts remember a newspaper column written during WW2 that supposedly was penned by a mouse that lived at the newspaper. Every night before locking up, the reporter would put a sheet of paper in his typewriter and at night the mouse would crawl up on it and jump on the keys to type the column. Since the mouse had no way to hold the shift key he couldn't do caps or punctuation marks. It was just one long string of letters that you had to break down. It was great fun and kept a worried nation entertained at a low point in out history. Take e deep breath and know that you are not alone.

27. [QUOTE="aaggie, post: 10607071, member: 98315

Some of us old farts remember a newspaper column written during WW2 that supposedly was penned by a mouse that lived at the newspaper. Every night before locking up, the reporter would put a sheet of paper in his typewriter and at night the mouse would crawl up on it and jump on the keys to type the column. Since the mouse had no way to hold the shift key he couldn't do caps or punctuation marks. It was just one long string of letters that you had to break down. It was great fun and kept a worried nation entertained at a low point in out history. Take e deep breath and know that you are not alone.[/QUOTE]......................................................................................Never heard that story before but I like it.:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Welcome back.
    Hell some days I just go set in the shop & look @ the cars & stuff. It's better soothing therapy than TV. I wish I had a dog to talk to. Some days I just set out back on the patio & watch the wind blow. Don't beat yourself up so much it's not too good think negative. Gettin old ain't for the weak. The guys that don't come around cause you don't hang out with them weren't really friends anyway . A friend will be around through thick & thin & most people can count on one hand their real friends.
    Good to see you posting even if it is just rambling about the past.

29. That's a cool piece of history I never knew! I was born WAY after the war (early 70's) and that kind of old Americana is interesting.