Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm scared... Alt converstion last step Q.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goozgaz, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

So I'm converting from generator to a modern alt on my 60 lincoln.

Finally got the alt brackets squared away and everything is bolted-in and ready to go.

The generator setup had the wire running into the voltage regulator... then from the volt reg out to the somewhere on the firewall mounted fuse box.

My new set up has the Alt (1 wire) has the main line connecting to + battery cable side of the selonoid.

My question:
    What do I do with the volt regulator wires that were runing back to the fuse box??? Is it feedding some powere back to the fuse box? Can I just disconnect it and be done?

Begin bashing and pelting HERE.....

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just trace them back and eliminate them,I have done this on several cars with no problems.However many of these one wire alternators are 100 amp + you need a heavier lead to the battery + if this is the case the 6 gauge cable used on Fords off the solenoid is perfect for this the use of 10 gauge as mentioned by many is good for a 50-70 amp unit.

3. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

I pulled this for you off of the ford6 forum for you!

If you use a single wire alternator, you only need to make one wiring change. The large single wire that formerly connected to the armature terminal can be connected to the alternator output post. At the voltage regulator, remove the wire from the "Arm" terminal and connect it to the "Bat" terminal along with the wire that is already there. This wire should be heavy enough for normal recharge and occasional high amperage output. The remaining smaller wires can be taped off. If you were to try a 3 wire installation; I believe the field wire should connect to the ignition switch and the existing generator light wire will wire up to the 3rd terminal. I have not tried this 3 wire installation yet so you are on your own if you do.