Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I'm resisting temptation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 28, 2024.

1. atch

atch

I need to get under Clarence for about 30 seconds. I'd love to just do it and be done. I'm going to block it up with cribbing like a good boy though. Don't need Sherry to come looking for me in a few hours only to find me crushed.

20240228_165838.jpg

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like a healthy alive good boy.

3. atch

atch

I'm partial to cribbing. I don't trust jackstands, no matter how high they're rated.

4. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got tired of questionable jack stands and/or lugging around 2x4 cribbing. This is what I sprung for. Not as cheap as 2x4's but lighter and easier to move around.
    https://www.raceramps.com/ 71D2P25CZlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Those might work, but I’d be scared to put a heavy car or truck on them since they are plastic. It might be strong, but I don’t trust plastic as much as I do steel or even properly supported wood.

8. spudshaft

spudshaft

At least use something. Getting squished would ruin your whole day.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3600 pounds each ramp, 7200 pounds total. Work just fine on the front of my '39 p/u with a flathead. Just saying.

10. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I know, I'm preaching to the choir, but since you showed up....
    Good going,:):):):) slow is cheap if the price of quick is your health and well being.
    There is larger price than a sudden tragic end.:eek:
    It's been mentioned before, but I have experience with a Buick's gravity giving me an unscheduled time off.:mad:
    The point I'll make is that some things are permanent. :cool::confused:
    The damage is carried every day there after.:oops::(
    Thanks for sharing.:):D

11. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I feel ya, but they ain't the plastic we grew up with.

51504bat, 05snopro440 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  12. Yeah, recent threads about failing jackstands are a little scary. Usually, I'll rest the car on the stands then pump up the floor jack so it has pressure on the chassis as well. One might think a shop with a lift would eliminate the need. But it's packed with projects!

13. Budget36

Budget36

Awwww, go for it. Have a neighbor kid hold your beer.
    What could go wrong?

lol. Obviously kidding.

chevy57dude likes this.
  14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I see a rack of wheels in the background. Lay down one under each wheel and ease it back down. Good Luck.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  15. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Every year I see a story about someone getting crushed under a car, I always use my jackstands but also leave the jack holding against the frame. Most of my vehicles are trucks that are high enough that they would not crush me, but I am old enough to have learned the hard way that what can go wrong will.

Wanderlust and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

Wise to excercise caution. It is always good to get to participate in tomorrow.:)

Someone will probably be along shortly to say that you worry too much...... and that everyone is getting soft...... and blah blah blah. Can you guess who it might be? I'm sure it won't be 2long.......:rolleyes:

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You get no do overs on this activity, if something goes wrong!

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Resistance is futile.

I use the 2x4 cribbing method... yes..they can be a pain,... but being crushed by 3500 lbs. is a little more painful.

19. 05snopro440

05snopro440

The modern plastic ramps are well-engineered, light, and sturdy. I use them regularly to change oil and other chassis service on my modern DD pickup. Plastics are not what they were 20+ years ago. I trust them over steel ramps, for sure.

As a materials engineer, there is no reason not to trust the plastic ramps.

Especially if we're talking about the stamped steel style pictured below that are prone to flexing, twisting, collapsing, and even cracking.

80748590_614.jpg

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve got two sets of metal ramps just like that I’d trust any day with any vehicle I own.
    Plastics may have improved the last few years, but I have memories of not so good plastics that would break without notice, so no, I still don’t trust plastic. My metal ramps have never flexed or twisted, and I do look at them each time to make sure there aren’t any cracks or breaks on them.

21. jim snow

jim snow

Good idea. Snowman ⛄️

22. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

@atch
    Are you still alive? We are starting to worry.

chevy57dude and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  23. atch

atch

Oh, yeah. Thanks for asking.

I put solid wood cribbing under each side of the front end; out close to the wheels.

You'll NEVER see me under any car/truck without very solid wood cribbing.

24. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Short sections of railroad timbers make excellent cribbing. If you get under there and get crushed, we’ll never speak to you again!

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The debate about plastic being no good reminds me of the old crochety parts store owner in town that years ago didn't want any of that "new fangled plastic pipe" in the lawn sprinkler system being installed at his house. It took forever for him to find someone who would even work with "good old" galvanized pipe and I don't even want to think what it costed. But to each his own.

Tow Truck Tom and 05snopro440 like this.
  26. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Railroad timbers with jackstands on top of them.

27. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I have jack stands, plastic ramps, metal ramps, 10" race ramp cribs, and 12" 2x4 cribs, all used for various situations, but a lot of the time I use some 4' long sections of 12" aluminum I-Beam and just slide them under the vehicle as a backup.

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

My son had someone give him a pair of those steel ramps that were both twisted and nearly smashed to the ground. I believe he has already scrapped them. The guy drove his modern 1/2 ton Chevy truck onto them, but bumped the steering wheel as he was climbing out of the raised, still running, truck. The tires turned a bit and the new (1st time used) steel ramps just folded up and collapsed. Those steel ramps were rated well above the weight of the truck. Seems the modern steel ramps are on par with the modern jack stands.

For the few times I'm going to be under anything I jack up around here, I'm going to keep using my 40 year old made in the USA 8,000lbs jack stands.

29. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I can see why you would have that opinion, but plastics have changed a lot. I'm just saying modern plastics can be trusted.