Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I'm probably overthinking this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, May 10, 2022.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my offspring, soon to be cut out of the will, was visiting and I know he was only trying to help. I thought I had taught him better than to touch something he knows nothing about but obviously, I was mistaken. As you'll see in the two pics below, he opened the trunk on the '46 Merc and then closed it without pulling back on the helper supports. The right one came down as it should but the left one bent sideways tearing the caged nut out of the support. I'm thinking if I were to put the nut back into the cage and use a little heat on the support while tapping the torn parts of the support back where they need to go, I should be able to TIG this back together without screwing up the nut. Anybody got an opinion that doesn't involve cutting out the support? 20220510_193600.jpg 20220510_193555.jpg

2. Budget36

Budget36

3. All I can agree on is cutting him out of the will... :D

4. Daniel Dudley

Daniel Dudley

Start taking it apart, and straightening things out. By the time you have it all sorted, you will know how you want to fix it. One step at a time gets you where you are going, and being proactive feels better than thinking about it.

5. Have the "offspring" fix it.."where there's a will, there's a way".

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clever!

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nah, I don't think so. The kid's only 59 and while he thinks he knows everything to know about welding, he's nowhere near as good as I am. If I were to get on his butt because he screwed the repair up, he'd run to his Mom and then I'd be catching hell for picking on the kid.;)

8. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe after straightening out your, uh kids err, make an oversized plate to spread the load ? Not like it would be seen often, it at all.

Boneyard51, alanp561 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Father like son…lol

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  10. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Super common on '50s Packards too. Got to believe they coulda been built better?

alanp561 likes this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The sheer audacity, of a 59 year old kid, being allowed to be around vehicles WITHOUT, adult supervision.
    Oh well, he can be expected to be eating off of paper plates, on a folding card table in the corner, this coming Thanksgiving!

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a reason Bonnie and I never had kids...that way, all the "fucking things up" around the house, are done by me;)

Boneyard51, DC40, alanp561 and 8 others like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ground him, and take it out of his allowance.

14. spudshaft

spudshaft

Did he try to jump on the lid to close it or something? Your plan sounds solid to me - sort of damage in reverse.

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sounds to me like the wife needs to be cut out of the Will too!
    When I chewed my son out for screwing up, my wife reinforced my opinion.

My son is a better welder then I am, and he is a better fabricator then he thinks he is. He is also a great father to his kids and a great husband to his wife.
    My daddy always told me that I was only going to win so many battles, and that I should pick the most important battles fight.
    This one doesn't seem like a good battle to fight to me.
    Fix the car and move on. Your plan sounds good to me, I'd probably add a cover over the top to add reinforcement.

However, if he comes over and wants to open the trunk lid again, remind him he broke it the last time.

16. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

Funny story for you guys. One time at work I'm watching a tire buster try latch a hood and the customer comes out and says you have to slam it. It's like no I don't think so on a customers car so he comes out all huffy & puffy and slams it himself. One small problem when he slammed it, he folded the hood in half. It was pretty hard not to laugh on that one and I suppose the moral here is it could be worse.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now that would be so funny! I’d make a point of doing that especially if he has kids with him. Promote one of his kids to the adults table...a good humorous lesson!

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    alanp561, 41 GMC K-18 and Budget36 like this.
  18. twenty8

twenty8

What the hell was he thinking !!! He should know better. I know this because I have never done any dumb shit.
    Oh, wait...........:rolleyes:o_O

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Reminds me about a time we went to a nearby car show years ago.
    We left the car with the hood open and decided to eat at a nearby restaurant.
    A fast very hard rained snuck up while inside.
    By the time I ran back to the car a GOOD Sumaritan decided to close my 37 hood without pulling the support first. Creasing it in two places. I about shit but didn’t give the guy any grief.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. BJR

BJR

It's time to kick the son out of the basement and get his own place.:D

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He lives in Texas and was just visiting. Got a call from him the other day, he'd like to come back for another visit. I'm chaining the doors on the garage.