Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm off to find my '30 Roadster in the Basement.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Oct 23, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, It is larger than the A window handle, I've been told it is a 1950 era Jeep stationwagon rear hatch/window handle. I'll most likely use it or swap it out for a 1928 Model A T handle. Hope to make some progress on the project today.:)

Six Ball and oliver westlund like this.
  2. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

Looks like a really cool project,you got to keep us posted.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, For some reason I'm really motivated to get this project to the point it looks like a car not the piles of parts that have been moved around since 1962. Following all the other builds here on the HAMB has been a big motivation. Every part on the car has a story, and holds a memory of people and friends I've meet over the years. I've finally got a good vision of what I want the car to look like, with a lot of little details that will use parts I've stored away for years. I want it to be a period perfect 1962 build, a car I could have built if I had the funds and skill back then.:)

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

REALLY wish I'd keep this 1932 Ford chassis for this project. Back in the early 1960's my Dad was a local police man, and the adult advisor for the local Hot Rod club. One night he brought me over to see the club presidents project, a '32 chassis with full race flathead. I can still picture that chassis in my head, it was perfect, right down to the red plug wires. Somewere around 1975 a friend called to ask if I wanted a Model A Ford chassis that was in his yard. Sure, not the first time I've stepped between a dumpster and a car part. Turned out to be the Hot Rod '32 chassis Dad had shown me years ago, Very sad that my memory of first seeing it vs reality of the time. So much "learn to weld" chicken shit all over it. I sold it at Hershey to the guys from Gibbon Fiberglass for a T shirt and $200.00, wish I had it back now.

Attached Files:

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good and VERY BAD day yesterday. Got the parts back from American Dry Strippers, and they did a great job as always, but a car pulled out in front of Debbie and I on the way home and totaled our Minivan. Deb has a brused knee and my left thumb is swollen. Driver that caused it backed out of the pile and drove home. Now we have to wait till Monday for all the paperwork reports. We're out a car and out of work. I had a fun evening planned with some primer. This is the doner door that has a good bottom and lower inner panel.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Out of primer, but the firewall/cowl sure looks nice all cleaned up. That rear sub rail section is only for body mockup and panel fitting, it will get replaced with a kickup section to mate to a '32 chassis.Raining, so there isn't much progress going on.

Attached Files:

7. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Bob,

I'm sorry to hear about the accident! I'm glad you or your wife were not seriously hurt.:(
    Roadster is coming along. I've got to get back on the wagon!:rolleyes:

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

Six Ball likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, Having a wreck isn't any fun that's for sure, seeing a loved one hurt buy some total stranger can bring out a lot of rage.......trust me on that one. Debbie is doing well, got a loaner, will be off to work in awhile. Need to get some primer on the blasted stuff before thins revert back to rust.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. Harms Way

Harms Way

I really hope you two recover quickly,.... sorry to hear about the accident.

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

thanks for sharing this and keep it coming. I'm building a 31 roadster. Hope all ends up well from the wreck.

11. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Sorry about the accident, there sure are some crappy drivers out there!

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

How do I suscribe to this ?pm or awnser here. thanks, jim

13. F&J

F&J

Scroll up to the top of this page for the long red bar; click where is says "thread tools" then it will give you the box to subscribe

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Finally got a coat of self etching primer on all the freshly blasted parts. Had to dress up the welds. Got one inner cowl panel lower flange installed. Had to force myself to do it, didn't want things to start rusting. Looks like my goal of having the cowl panels installed by the 23rd isn't going to happen, there is always 2011. I did pick up a nice desk lamp on the free table at the dump last week, works great as a work light.

Attached Files:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Moving some stuff around in the basement and found a floppy with photos of the Roadster when it came home after a 25 year stay with a friend who never did a thing with it. This is how it looked December 5, 2001.

Attached Files:

16. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Cool pics and great progress! Looks like it was channeled by a great white!

17. fitzee

fitzee

This is a cool project.makes me want to clean my basement!! Better not cause like yourself there in the makings of a project down there. Have to finish what I have start first....So much for a clean basement!! I`ll be keeping a eye to this one

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

When I first found the body the doors were welded closed, and the firewall,was hacked up. I upgraded to the cowl and doors in the '01 photos and they are now blasted and in primer. The subrails were cut about a foot behind the doors and somehow attached to the frame. I've got a stock rear portion that will get attached so I can rebuild the body. Once it is together, I'll get the subrails that Vaphead makes to allow the body to fit on a '32 chassis. I may just leave the rear quarters in primer and keep the striping buy some unknown kid, after the wheelwells are restored. :)

19. looks good Bob let me know if you need a hand with it.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is your TIG setup and running?:rolleyes:

Six Ball likes this.
  21. Now just HOW did you get those pics off the floppy (without professional help) Bob? :D

22. the tig the big mig, the little mig, the torches, take your pick. also finally got the oil burner and radiant heat working in the barn. down right balmy

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've worn out four SONY cameras, got a modern digital for my birthday, clueless how to load photos on the internet. Don't have a cell phone either.

Six Ball likes this.
  24. took me a while too... repetition is my friend

The I.T. gal at work HATES me when it's time to do those "once a year" updates on the computer- if I have to do it every day/week, then I can remember it, otherwise I'm just another "useless Yankee idiot" in front of a keyboard :rolleyes::D

Six Ball likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

A whole month went by an there is no progress on the Roadster. I did move more stuff around, organized stuff and unloaded unwanted things. Maybe February will be better.

Attached Files:

Six Ball likes this.
  26. Is the Lyndwood down there too Bob?

27. noboD

noboD

And the T should be somewhere in that!

28. GARY?

GARY?

Now we know where you hide the Billy Beer.

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hell I bet Jimmy Hoffa's down there! :D

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good eye! That is going in the eBay pile. The Lyndwood and T Touring are in the garage that I shoveled a foot of snow off of this afternoon. :)