Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm not walking anymore-Model A Coupe project post war 40's build.w/PICTURES.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 10, 2010.

1. rokcrln

rokcrln

Nice score, $500? I figured I might as start the guessing. I say go for the 2.3 or 2.0L with a turbo and 5 spd. I have a 4.6L cammer motor and AOD for my first body I am building but after that I want to do a 4 banger but modern for power and milage.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

2. what one are those? I still haven't figured out how the header panel goes in....

btw may have the line on an A frame for cheap...

Also my good friend Mike came over today. He said he knows where there is a Flathead in the woods in a ford truck! So.....I maybe going on an expedition.:D

3. :DGood guess. Higher,but not more than double:D

BTW I love those 4.6. I have worked at Ford before. I'd like to hide one in a 39 or 40 Ford.

4. aircoup

aircoup

cool i wish mine looked that good when i found it,i would just finish up and clean up that chop an leave it

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

A great start!! Thank you for posting the photos. Keep us updated with pix and words.

6. I talked to my grandpa the other day and told him about the A model ford. He started telling me about the flathead fordv8 he had, he thinks it was a 1933. anyways, he told me to come over....:confused:

I went over today. When I got there he gave me this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks grandpa!

7. Well I was going to go to the swap meet today, but the falcon blew a wheel cylinder.:(

So instead I spent the day cleaning the garage and making room for the A.

[​IMG]

after I got it inside I decided I would try and get the top aligned and start figuring out how far the body is out of whack.

things don't look to good. :( The passenger side quarter and b pillar are leaning in and the cowl is leaning back.:( here is the pass. b-pillar

[​IMG]

The subframe is cracked right under the b-pillar on the passenger side. and the roof has broken free from the a-pillar on the passenger side as well. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

I 'm not sure the drivers side of the car is square either. not to mention that the rear of the roof is f-ed

[​IMG]

I am pretty discouraged at this point. I think I a little overwelmed as I have never tackled a project like this.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. My thoughts are.

1. square it up and brace it.
    2. get the top tacked on temporarily.
    3. replace the subframe.
    4. then start the rust repair.

I guess I will sleep on it and try and tweak it more tomorrow.

any reality check, opinions or input would be great.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  8. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

This is what I started with, 31 like yours and put it on 32 rails the only way to go in my opinion!

Attached Files:

9. that looks nice! love the stance.

10. 28 to 36 axles are the best to run with split bones. And the best to drop. This is because the spring perches are closer together and there is more room between the spring perches and the king pins.

I would also look for an unmolested set of bones.

11. chrismas

chrismas
    from oklahoma

you interested in letting loose of any parts? I need a visor and dash rail for my 30-31 5 window. also a trunk lid.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

not much better than an a coupe with an aggressive chop.

13. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Ya got to section the top a little to make it fit, put some steel pannles in it to take up the slack.

I got a line on a 302 EFI for $250, needs pistons, has Every thing incloudling the EFI harnes.....Roach.

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I chopped mine 4" and yours looks more like 4" +.[​IMG]

15. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

You have to pie cut the pillars, it's pretty easy, but thats the way it needs to be done, to be right. Top out, bottom in.
    [​IMG]

16. Good to know. There isn't really a How-to list for dummies.

btw I won't be using this axle or the bones.

I'm gonna hold onto all this for now. I need a trunk lid too.

I'm starting to think it's lower than I think.:(:eek:

after staring at it for a bit, I'm starting to see where I need to make adjustments. I'm interested in the 302. but probably for my girls falcon.

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you've got a 5" chop there.

18. Originally Posted by Hitchhiker [​IMG]
    I will be keeping the chop. I've done some measuring and I think its right around 2 or 2 1/2 inchs.

I really have no clue. I am a complete rookie when it comes to this old ford stuff. I've been reading a lot and it's starting to make sense. I'm just really high on this ford rust and diving right in, whether I know what I am doing or not. I'm just going off of the unchopped drivers door I have. I have no known "stock" measurement. the inside of the window measures 13 1/2 inches. I suppose it's not original to the car and could have been chopped at some point. If it was cut at some time, it was done well. the rest of the car measures out like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

awesome thanks for the visual:D

edit: picture of my coupe should say 10 1/2 instead of 11 and 1/2

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  19. Lame. That's way lower than I really want.:( I'm short enough to drive it. but I always liked the look of a 2 inch. I would never have cut it more than four myself. maybe I can fix it up and trade it for a unchopped car:eek::confused::(:mad: I'm not really sure at this point. I've wanted one of these for so long. I almost don't care. But now it's not so "ultimate" to me.:(
    Hopefully I'll get over this. I'm not really even sure why it matters.:confused:

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

21. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Nice start to a cool hot rod

If it was mine I would get a frame and bolt in down before you start to fix the roof. Brace the lower section get the doors as close as you can to latching good. Then cut the top off and take a 1/2 more off on bother parts to get into better metal. Looks like they torched it

The main thing just have fun

22. As of right now the top isn't even tacked on. With just the vise grips and clamps the whole car is way sturdier. The only problem I see to mounting it on a frame is that the subframe is broken below the b-pillar. so it needs to be replaced as well. If I can find the model A body scans I found earlier today I will make some braces get it into shape and supported inside the body. Tack the top on. then drop in on new subrails. then put it on the frame and start fixing everything. I'd really hate to cut it anymore. I think what happend is that when it was cut cut, it wasn't braced. Because of this and the broken subrail when the drivers rear of the roof was cut it kinde started to go bad.

thanks for the advice. I am having fun. I guess the realization that this one is lower than what I want means, I might be passing it on to someone else:(

that's why I am bummed. Because to keep it means to deal with the chop and to sell it means I have to find one again. I'll be honest. I can't afford a nicer car to start with. which is why I have been searching for a Body I could afford for a few years now. I don't want to sell it but I don't want the chop. I guess this is how coupes become coupesters.:eek:

23. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Just say NO to the coupester:D

24. don't worry. I won't make it a coupester.

on another note. the PM's I got through the night trying to purchase the coupe have made me see the light. It may not be the chop that I would do. But the chop is still badass and now I have an excuse to get two model A's.;)

I was just a little bummed last night having learned and confirmed what I feared.

25. Tank

Tank

That coupe body may not be chopped as hard as you think. Definately not 5".... I just measured my door window openings on my 30 coupe. Unchopped. The number is 13 3/4". Hope that helps ya out a bit. Pm me if you need anymore measurements. See what I can do to help you.

26. flthd31

flthd31

I agree. It's hard to tell from pics depending on the angle of the photo.
    I have two of these coupes and I chopped them both so I'm sure what was removed. There's probably a hair more removed when evening up the cut.
    Here's some dimensions for ya and definitely get a good straight frame before welding up anything on that body.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. awesome. Hmmn the plot thickens....I'll send you a pm about other measurements.

28. Man I must have been drunk last night:D......my measurements are the same as your 3 inch. I just triple checked. I'm officially calling it a 3 inch chop. I can live with that......now where can I find a frame?

29. PoPo

PoPo

the question is what kind of frame do you want. 32 or a Model A frame? I love the look of an A on a 32 frame so that is what I am building/gathering parts for.

I am guessing your PM about my chop pieces doesnt apply anymore, so I didn't PM ya back Hitch.

Also with your subframe being broken behind the B pillar, that will work out for you if you use a 32 frame as you have to cut out some of the rear subframe for it to line up and work correctly. I was stressed as you are with mine as condition wise, mine might be worse than yours, but SOMEDAY i will get my frame put together, and place my body on it, then square everything up and get my chop worked out as well. I also bought a car with a predone chop. I wish I wouldve been the one to do it but no biggie. Everything can be fixed, it just takes time and the want!

Good luck and don't give up.

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow, 3"? it really looks in the pics like more than that. i thought for sure more than 4"

hmm.