Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm looking for a front seat, bench, split bench for my 51 Merc any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vlopez22, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

I'm looking for a front seat, bench, split bench for my 51 Merc any suggestions?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 65 Caddy Deville coupe seat fits right into one of those and looks like it belongs there but may be too tall for the chopped top. I had one in my stock roofed 51 and loved it.

3. Pretty much any newer full size car bench should be an easy fit; your big 80s and 90s GM cars will have one that will look at home in there if you take the headrests off and reuhpolster it in a traditional pattern. I would imagine a Crown Vic would work, too, if you prefer to keep it all Ford.

4. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

thanks fellas and yes car is chopped and looking for one that sits low for the chop?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might look at the seats in 77/82 Caddy Deville coupes if you can find a bench that isn't split. Or the same year Olds or Buick coupes. the lean backs were a little squarer than the later models and minus the headrests and redone in a more "custom car" upholstery and less fluff and frufru they should work. Some seats just look too modern for those cars.

6. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

You might look at some of the aftermarket seats. They will be a lot more comfortable and they come in a lot of different styles.

7. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

:D :rolleyes:

8. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

wheres a good place to look for an after market seat, which after market seat you guys recommend?

9. smarg

smarg

How about a stock one?

I hear that fits pretty good.

10. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Good Point Smarg lol

11. BRENT

BRENT

How about a 1957 cadillac bench seat? I know they dont grow on trees but like Mr48chev said I think Cadillac of that era should work. Also like the look of those early 60's bucket seats without a head rest. PS Dont let your upholsterer talk you out of it.....takes longer, and harder to work on I guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Larry Dennis company out of Texas makes good seats, Tea's design makes good seats but expensive. You might look in a street rodder mag. I bought my bucket seats from a company called ISS the were out of Houstan Texas but they went out of business. You might check any upholstry suppliers or Upholsters locally see if they sell anything.

13. I'm too far to ship, but this is a '68 big Chevy front bench (and rear) that I picked up a while ago that I can't use in my build:

[​IMG]

14. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

do you still have your stock front seat? i could use it

15. cmbrucew

cmbrucew
    from Socal

I used a split bench power seat from a 83 malibu in my F1.
    Bruce

Works good
    Lasts long time

16. username

username

I have the front and rear seats out of a 1950 Ford, they were Tijuana upholstered about a year before they were pulled. Black & Red. They are in great condition with no issues. I believe the Shoebox vs the Merc seats are slight smaller (this may work great for your chop).

PM me if you are interested.

Other than that above, a tape measure and a trip to a pick-a-part.

username

17. tedster

tedster

I am not sure about a Merc but a 72 Ranchero bolts to stock mounts in a shoebox Ford and sits about 3 1/2 inches lower than a stock seat.

18. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Thanks fellas and very helpful and no I do not have the stock seats and I just pick up 1965 T-Bird rear bench seats, and having a hard time finding and deciding if I should go bucket or full bench seat for my custom, whats the length I should and size I should go with, and once again thanks the Hamb is the best very helpful thanks again.

19. How much of a tranny tunnel do you have? That will play a big part in bench or buckets too. You need to measure the height of the tranny tunnel and make sure a bench will fit over it without raising it way up there. That is the issue I have been dealing with as well.

20. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Hello fellow H.A.M.B, I would like my hood louvered on my 51 Mercury and I'm wondering if you guys know anyone in the Los Angeles area, that you guys highly recommend. Just out of curiosity, what is a fair price? thanks for your opinion. Also I'm going to install power windows and looking for a great kit for my Merc any suggestions?